Hello from Missouri, questions already..

boats317

Chirping
6 Years
Apr 29, 2013
Desoto, Mo

Greetings, love the info here on BYC, its helped alot. We are starting from scratch on all of this. Coming from the suburbs of IL. to a farm in MO lol. We have alot to do before we actually buy chickens. One thing i'm wondering, when i build the coop (the goal is to have around 10 to 12 chickens and a rooster or 2). This barn you see will also have 2 or 3 goats in it, the back side is all fenced off for them the exit the barn. Would it be best to have the chicken coop IN the barn or build it right outside of it against the long wall there and fenced off? I dont know if there is a trade off for safety vs. ventilation?
thanks,
Brian

You can build a coop plenty safe outside the barn and give yourself plenty of barn ventilation. You just have to make sure to close up any holes at night. Consider a run versus free ranging. If your neighbors are anything like mine, there are too many dogs running free. Another thing to take note of is if you are wondering if a racoon can get in, it probably can, and you will want to fix it. Hope some of this helps, I know I had trouble but got the hang of it coming from the Chicago suburbs to Missouri. Good luck and welcome to the BYC.

There is great info in the forum/learning center tabs above. Safety & ventilation are both very important when it comes to coops. You could do both. Have the coop inside & then a door to go into the outdoor run. Good luck on your upcoming project :)

Thanks for the comments, ya i've been reading alot already on here. The neighbor has at least 1 rooster i know of for sure cuz he's loud lol. I do like the idea of indoor/outdoor. I have 4 kids and they are going to want to free range at least a little bit, it wont be an all day type deal, but more like a few hours while they are playing etc...I know we are still in the infancy stage here, just trying to get a better idea before i completely dive in.

welcome-byc.gif

Greetings from Kansas, Boats317, and
welcome-byc.gif
! Pleased you joined us! I like the inside the barn idea for predator protection...but I'm also remembering the heat of last summer - make sure they a good breeze passing through the barn. Good luck to you!

Back
Top Bottom