hello from missouri :)

hecatesmoon

Songster
7 Years
May 15, 2012
MO chicken keeper since 4/2012
I've come across this site over and over in my reading and research and finally decided to join. I'm a first time chicken owner and just reading various threads has been helpful. I just culled my first chicken this morning. It didn't go well. If anyone has had any bad first time experiences, please, feel free to share so maybe I won't feel so awful! I guess I should have spent more time reading here!

Hello and welcome! I've never culled any yet and don't plan on doing it myself....I'll pay someone to do it when the time comes!! lol This forum is full of wonderful people who are willing to share their advice & experience and I know you will get the proper guidance needed for your next.

Hello and
welcome-byc.gif
glad you joined us!

Well, we have decided to start semi-homesteading so I knew that death and killing is part of this way of life, and I have been mentally preparing myself for what I knew was inevitable. As horrible as the idea of killing something was, my worst fear was that I wouldn't be able to take the chicken out with the first swing, and it would be afraid and in pain. Well, long story short, my worst fear came true!!! The blade wasn't sharp enough. It just bounced, and I am standing there screaming, "It didn't go through! It didn't go through!" If it happens a second time, I think I will have to hand over my farmers badge and sell muh chickens! Lol

my worst fear was that I wouldn't be able to take the chicken out with the first swing, long story short, my worst fear came true!!! I am standing there screaming, "It didn't go through! It didn't go through!"
Yuck....sorry to hear it went that way!

Last edited:
you might find a place that will process the chicken for you. we found a local farmer who does his own once a year and for just a few dollars he added ours to his batch. maybe someone in your area will do this as well. we just place them in the freezer. its a nice alternative to culling your own.

Back
Top Bottom