Hello from Missouri

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by cbellamy, Dec 25, 2012.

1. cbellamy

cbellamy New Egg

Dec 24, 2012
    Hello everyone! I am excited about finding this site. I have never had chickens before and am going to get me some. I am looking at your awesome chicken coops I have seen on here and I will probably drive you nuts I have so many questions! I do have a German Shepard (18 months) and I know she is going to be interested in them. So right out of the gate... How did you keep your dog from disturbing your chickens? Did you make a bigger pen and never let them roam?

2. DDNONIN2016

DDNONIN2016 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2012
    SW Ohio
    Hello and welcome from Ohio....so glad you joined us. I dont have a dog but someone will be along shortly that does and will have some great info for you

3. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Some people have no trouble but most dogs can't help themselves. When the chickens run it's like a fast fluffy toy. We have a pom that's too small to bother the adults but my worst predator has been dogs. I've lost birds to possums, coons, fox, coyotes and hawks but if you add up all that predation it pales to the devastation dogs have done here.
    I have one large chain like covered pen and that's the only one that has kept dogs at bay. Most of the other flocks free range.

What part of MO are you in?
    Here's 2 MO threads
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/73271/calling-any-one-from-missouri

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/69036/missouri

Last edited: Dec 25, 2012
  4. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] If you type keywords like "training dog not to catch chickens" into the advanced search bar you will find quite a few threads and discussions on the topic. Have a read through there and see what worked for the other members. If you are completely new to chickens have a look at our Learning Center for the basic need to know. The Coops section has some fantastic coop designs and if you have any questions, just go to the relevant section and ask. We're here to help. Have a nice day and Merry Christmas!

5. Sk8inChick(en)

Sk8inChick(en) Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2011
    The Show-Me State
    Hello from Missouri, as well! Welcome!

As for your questions, the search bar is always a good tool. I have dogs, and we just introduced them to the chickens when they were young chicks. The dogs do fine with them, but we were always careful to supervise their time together at the beginning.

[​IMG]

6. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

7. Sally8

Sally8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2011
    Hornby,NY
    Welcome to BYC from New York State! Wish I could help you on dog advice. I have an Australian Shepherd and a King Charles Cavalier. If a chicken decides to walk fast, they could be lunch. We just keep them separate. Good luck. Merry Christmas!

8. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Howdy from Kansas, cbellamy, and [​IMG]! Happy you joined our flock! BYC is a great learning community! Tons of great info from helpful folks - so ask away! Merry Christmas!

9. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG] [​IMG] from washington state glad you joined us!

10. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC!!
    [​IMG]

Glad you joined us!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by