Hello from Montana

talley

Hatching
9 Years
Apr 8, 2010
Hello All, I'm new to the forum but have had a small flock (17) Chanteclers for about a year and a half. I went to the farm store about 8 weeks ago and picked up another 15 peeps (Buff Orpingtons, Araconas and brown Leghorns) I have the eight week olds in a run adjacent to the big girls and so far they are not friends. Then last week one of my hens went broody and I have 13 eggs with chicks in them. I candled them and yup the chicks are there. What was I thinking? I have big hens pecking at pullets so I have to keep them apart for now and soon I'll have babies that I can't put in with either group! Yikes! I have a 8 x 10 ft house, a 10 x 12 ft run and the broody hen and her eggs are in the strorage area of the hen house (an additional 3x 10ft space walled off from the roosting part of the coop. I'm hoping that I can move the pullets in with the adults by the time the peeps are ready to go into the seperate run. This is more complicated than I thought it would be. Any one have any suggestions on how I can manage this other than the above plan? What if the big hens continue to harrass the pullets? I'm afraid I'll be stuck with keeping them seperate with no where to put the babies.

welcome-byc.gif

welcome-byc.gif
from California!!!!

How much land do you have?

Do you free range?

Are you handy with tools???

If you build it they will roost!

OK seriously............You sound like you'll be good for a month or more, but this is a great site for help, so you're in the right place.

Make sure you visit and post in the coop forum. Some really nice, smart people there. I don't do much here, but tell hubby "I want" or "I need". Otherwise I could be more help.

Last edited:
frow.gif
and
welcome-byc.gif
from Ohio. Build a bigger coop.
gig.gif
OK, how are the hens and pullets seperated? If you use just wire so they can at least see each other all the time, they should get use to them being there making it easier to get them together.
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom