Hello from Morgan Hill, CA

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by champer, Jun 13, 2011.

1. champer

champer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2011
    San Martin, CA
    Hi everyone! I'm new to chickens; a friend gave me 4 unidentified hens about 3 months ago. I've since discovered that 3 are OEG hens and the 4th is ? I just call her Big Red Hen. The OEGs are not friendly at all and have been good layers till a month ago when 2 went broody, when I couldn't break it, I bought them 4 day-old chicks to raise and that has been quite succesful ( except for 1 chick who flew out of the pen and the dog got her). The chicks are 1 RIR and 2 ameraucaunas.

Pretty much everything I know about chickens, I've learned from reading the forums here.

I also raise 3 sheep for wool to spin and have 3 dogs and a cat.

Look forward to participating here!

Barbara

2. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama.

3. Chickencoop1996

Chickencoop1996 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    southern nh
    [​IMG]

4. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

[​IMG] from someone who knows where Morgan Hill actually is! [​IMG] Are you in the county or actually within the city limits???

(I lived in Monterey County for 30-some years, until late 2007.)

BYC is the most informative, supportive, and interesting forum I have ever found. Plus the members are SO helpful! Here, you can find out what to do so you don't make mistakes, and what to do when you have made mistakes and need to fix 'em. Great folks - so many of whom are now "friends I've never met" - as well as a few I have!

5. ThePigeonKid

ThePigeonKid Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Ohio - Chickens 3yrs
    [​IMG]

6. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from Ohio. So glad you joined. [​IMG]

7. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

8. champer

champer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2011
    San Martin, CA
    Thanks for all the welcomes; it's a very friendly place here!

Hi Gryeyes! I'm actually in San Martin, in the east hills, so very rural! Must have been hard leaving Monterrey, are you stil in CA?

Last edited: Jun 13, 2011
  9. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Quote:Oh, San Martin! Nice!

It was VERY hard to leave Monterey for Sacramento. VERY hard. But I accepted a promotion and it was the best thing I ever did - should have followed up on the offer years earlier, but resisted. Just because of "Sacramento," y'know?

In September 2007, I moved to West Sacramento, into a rural-ish area, RENTING on a one acre parcel where the land-lady also lives in the front house on the property. She said chickens were fine. But I branched out to ducks..... and she made me get rid of them. So......

.....I bought a little house up in the Sierra foothills, still in California - El Dorado county (my commute will be 52 miles one way but SO worth it) and will move into it within a month. With my dogs, cats, chickens, ducks and two goslings. Happy happy happy!

Enjoy your chickens!

10. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Louisiana!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by