Hello from N Georgia

redroost

Hatching
Dec 16, 2015
Winder GA
||||HELLO||||

I am just starting and know nothing at all :) Anyone have any BIG do's or don'ts when starting up? I am hoping to set up my coop in the next few weeks and wanted to know if it would be bad to bring home new chickens in the "winter". I do have a heat lamp if necessary. Where is the best place to get my chickens from? I would love if they were already laying.
Any help is appreciated.

Hope everyone has a great Christmas coming up!

Andrew

Welcome! When you get a chance check out the learning center they have alot of great info
https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center
You can get adult laying chickens, they will just cost you more. It is a rather big debate on here if they need a heat source. I personally am in the no heat camp, we get into the -degrees here, and my chickens seem to do quite well. Chickens need a coop free from drafts, but well ventilated, and protection from getting wet (getting wet is probably the biggest danger a chicken can get in in winter). If you have that along with plenty of food and water your chickens will be very comfortable.

Last edited:
Hi there and welcome to byc. You,already have some sound advice in the above post so I will just say hi

Good luck

Ct

Sounds great! Thank you for your information. I look forward to spending a good bit of time learning and chatting with others here.
D.gif

welcome-byc.gif
Make sure you are prepared before you get chickens or other fowl. I was not when I started and it was a lot harder to start raising chickens.

Back
Top Bottom