Hello from Nanaimo, B.C.

We live in Nanaimo - right now I have 5 chickens. A gold laced cochin, a wyndotte, one unknown and 2 sussex cross. My wyndotte was broody last year so we gave her 3 eggs to sit on (3 different breeds) - sadly all were roosters which we cannot keep in the city, so I gave them all away.
Where are you and what have you got for chickens?

welcome-byc.gif
from Illinois

We live in South nanaimo near the river and currently have 22 hens of many breeds, 1 frizzle rooster, 1 red-brown Amerecauna rooster, 24 blue/black Amerecauna 2 week old chicks and 6 3 week old Black Silkie Chicks. This time last year 1 had 5 ISA Browns haha chickens are very addictive!

southend of downtown Nanaimo. I have various breeds and sizes..I cant mention how many I have a double lot so legally I can have 6..shh they are very quiet though. my chicks I won from Brairwood Poultry I ended up with I think 4 roosters of 15 chicks I have friends that are buying the hens off me that are starting their own inner city flocks. I have had chikens in my life oh and ducks off and on since I was 14 when we moved to the island..what a beautiful place to live

I always find that bylaw funny.. How many cats are you allowed to have?! Lol

What breeds did you get from Briarwood? They have nice birds

I grew up on a farm and actually was completely opposed to the idea when my husband got the first five. Now I'm a full blown crazy chicken lady and we're building a barn because we just can't stop!

I like chickens a lot more than cats - way more interesting and the eggs! My neighbours cat always poops in my garden - my chickens don't do that :)
Sure do wish the by-law would be upped to 10 chickens here in the city. It's hard to keep good production with just 6 and now with one gone I don't really want to try to add just one new chicken into the group. (I'm thinking two.... but that's a secret!)
Nice to chat with other Nanaimo chicken lovers! Judy

I get new chickens every four years since my son was 3 and hes 21 now! (so I was quite illegal back then.heehee)
So I started last spring with 3 buff Orphingtons and an Olive egger.Then I adopted some dorkings and south american rumpless from a lady in Cedar. Then 5 old english Bantam hens from a young girl in south wellington. Then a reddish colour Frizzle, the young lad I got her from said shes a half frizzle but she curled up nicely. I won 14 chicks from Briarwood and they are coronation sussex and silver sussex( I think one rooster in each group of sussex) , Silver birchen Maran rooster and black copper maran rooster.I have a few friends that are interested in the chicks I would like to keep four of them. They are very quiet and I have a nice little set up for them. I bought a little Brinsea incubator and I have been hatching out baby Quail..to increase my little flock. My hubby loves pickled quail eggs.

I get new chickens every four years since my son was 3 and hes 21 now! (so I was quite illegal back then.heehee)
So I started last spring with 3 buff Orphingtons and an Olive egger.Then I adopted some dorkings and south american rumpless from a lady in Cedar.  Then 5 old english Bantam hens from a young girl in south wellington.  Then a reddish colour Frizzle, the young lad I got her from said shes a half frizzle but she curled up nicely. I won 14 chicks from Briarwood and they are coronation sussex and silver sussex( I think one rooster in each group of sussex) , Silver birchen Maran rooster  and black copper maran rooster.I have a few friends that are interested in the chicks I would like to keep four of them.  They are very quiet and  I have a nice little set up for them. I bought a little Brinsea incubator and I have been hatching out baby Quail..to increase my little flock.  My hubby loves pickled quail eggs.

Pretending I didn't do the math on that lol, good for you :)

Pickling quail eggs is a brilliant idea! I hope you make him peel them tho.
Are they any easier to peel than the fresh chicken eggs?

No Marans hens? I would love to get some going. Will be hatching some cucoo Marans and welsummers later this month but really want either black or blue copper Marans.

Searching everywhere for some guinea fowl if you happen to know anyone.

The quail sound fun too... Hmmm... Haha I really need to curb my obsession soon!

I like chickens a lot more than cats - way more interesting and the eggs!  My neighbours cat always poops in my garden - my chickens don't do that :) 
Sure do wish the by-law would be upped to 10 chickens here in the city.  It's hard to keep good production with just 6 and now with one gone I don't really want to try to add just one new chicken into the group.  (I'm thinking two....  but that's a secret!)
Nice to chat with other Nanaimo chicken lovers!  Judy

I believe there is a whole section on the site for bylaws and how to work towards changing them. It doesn't really effect me but I completely agree that 6 hens does not provide enough for a family unless you cull and replenish every year and who wants to do that?

If you ever get something going and need support, let me know. :)

Back
Top Bottom