Hello from NC!

Nelliespeeps

In the Brooder
Jan 6, 2017
Hello everyone! New to the chicken world have been hatching out and buying eggs for about a year. The more I learn about my chicks the more involved I wanna get. Have several rare breeds and looking to possibly sale,trade, or even compete. Little worried with the weather being so cold off locked the all the birds in the coup with door shut for the night anyone have any good tips for anything I'm wanting to make sure I'm doing it right.Thanks y'all!
[/IMG]

Hi and welcome to BYC - thanks for joining us. If you search for "winterising your coop / winterising chickens" there should be quite a few threads pop up. We don't do winter where i live, so I'm afraid I'm of little help. Having sufficient space in the coop, and giving your chickens things that will keep them busy is a good idea (e.g. hanging a head of cabbage). Ideally, a dust bathing area and tossing scratch in coop bedding will also allow them to continue to perform their natural habits.

You can participate on the buy/sell/trade forum once you have made 20 posts and there's threads on many breeds here - again just use the search box.

Best wishes
CT

welcome-byc.gif

You may want to chat with other members that live closer to you. To find them, do a search for your state thread...they may be able to give you ideas specific to your climate.

Good luck!

G’Day from down under Nelliespeeps
frow.gif
Welcome!

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends
wink.png

Hello and :welcome! I hope you enjoy BYC just as much as the rest of us do! I wouldn't be too worried about your chickens in the cold, they're pretty hardy animals! :) Showing is a really fun thing to get in to and you are sure to meat some great people doing it too! :)

Hey y'all quick question anyone got any good tips on keeping a coup clean? So they are caged because of hawks and I've got a pretty big fenced in area outside then a coup connected so they can go in there and roost it's not very big have got a small door. I went and got some lime today said to put bedding over it. Have heard many different things like not to do anything,take it out on and on mostly worried about the health of them this time of year. Also one more they are just beginning to Lay have gotten six so far I've been told to X C on the first and leave them in each box or they won't lay there again do I have to always have an egg in there? I'm so new at this my husband is from Kentucky I'm a city girl from Seattle. Am excited to learn they have become my little babies. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom