Hello from NC!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Clsywnch, Feb 6, 2015.

1. Clsywnch

Clsywnch New Egg

Feb 6, 2015
    Hey everybody!

I've been reading and lurking on BYC for a while now. Today I went and picked up 6 of 8 wee ladies. I have 3 Ameracaunas - Mocha, Cappuccino and Latte. 2 Buff Orpingtons - Honey and Maizey. 1 Lavender Orpington I have named Teeny. Teeny is 1 week older than the rest but smaller. I am to pick up a Gold Laced Wyandotte and a Speckled Sussex next Saturday. I was trying for a couple of Blue Laced Red Wyandottes but no luck - The Hatchery is to call when they get some.

Work on my coop started last Thursday. It's looking great. It's 4x6x6 with 3 nest boxes. I am planning a 20 x6 x6 totally enclosed run. We have lots of varmints in eastern NC - grey fox, raccoons, opossums, dogs, cats and hawks to name a few. I actually based my design on "The Coop on The Bayou" featured on your site.

It has taken me 3 years, and I had to ditch my hubby (haha) but I have me some chickens! Whoot! Whoot!

Can't wait to get to know you guys!

Clsywnch

1 person likes this.
  2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]I'm glad you joined our "flock"

It sounds like you're off to a good start! The breeds you have so far should lay very well for you and be quite docile. I love their names! I hope you can find the Wyandottes you're looking for- they're my favorite breed of chicken.[​IMG]

Enjoy your chicks, and if you have any questions, feel free to ask! We're all here to help in any way we can.

3. Twistedfeather

Twistedfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2014
    Oregon
    Welcome to BYC! Hope you find the chickens you're looking for. Did you buy adults or chicks?

4. Clsywnch

Clsywnch New Egg

Feb 6, 2015
    Teeny hatched on 1/26 and the rest of the crew on 2/2. I have 2 others which are supposed to hatch 2/9. I'm trying to decide exactly what breed or breeds I want to raise and keep. These breeds interested me as they were gorgeous, have excellent temperaments, are both good egg layers and also meat birds.

5. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to our flock. Congratulations! It's always exciting getting new chickens. Orpingtons are a wonderful breed. I've raised them for years (along with dozens of other breeds), and they are hardy, calm and gentle (my children and granddaughter made lap pets of them), and good layers of large, brown eggs. If you are thinking about increasing the number of breeds that you have, you might want to consider Australorps. They have the same calm and gentle temperament as the Orpingtons (not surprising since they were originally bred using Orpingtons stock), but are even better layers. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to BYC. Rule of thumb is 4-5 sg.feet per bird inside the coop not including roost and nesting boxes. Allow 10 sg.feet per bird in the outdoor run. Chickens cramped together tend to bully, bloody and sometimes cannibalize their roomates. A roof on your run will keep chickens inside, and airborne predators & climbers OUT. Good luck with your flock.

7. ChickyChickens

ChickyChickens Chickening Around

May 24, 2014
    BYC? Epic <3
    My Coop
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Welcome to BYC!!! There are loads of members on here…so if you have ANY questions…just ASK!!!

Hope you have loads of fun and all your answers answered here on BYC the BEST CHICKEN KEEPING FORUM on EARTH!!

[​IMG][​IMG]

8. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Ditched the hubby for chickens.....LOL Sounds like a plan to me!!!

So glad you could join our community and we do welcome you to our flock!

9. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us!

10. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

I love your chicken names! Especially Maizey! I have buff orpingtons and speckled sussex chickens too!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by