Hello from NEPA

goinoffthegrid

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 16, 2013
Scranton PA
Hello from Scranton PA. My wife and I started living a more health lifestyle a few years back and started growing, hunting and canning most of our own food so naturally fresh eggs were the logical next step. 'The girls" (as my wife calls them) consist of our original 6 white pullets (we think they are white leghorns) which are about 6 weeks old now and another 6 that are now around 3 weeks old (2 reds and 4 whites). We're loving having them and find them a lot of fun. Right now the 6 big girls are living in a x lg dog cage and the 6 little girls are in a large rabbit cage until I can build a coop for them in the next few days. It's so funny how they press them selves up against the cage to be pet or beg to come out to see us or hang out with our 2 large dogs that try to cuddle and mother them. If we walk past their room they call to us to come see them and get rather upset if we don't.

Sounds like you've made a great start! I'd put their two cages right next to each other if possible, if they aren't already. Hopefully this will help mixing them together go more smoothly as they sort out their new pecking order.

And welcome to our forum!

Hello and welcome from Ohio....so glad you joined BYC

Those little peeps grow amazingly fast. Happy coop building ! Please post pics of the finished product. We would love to see it.

Best wishes raising those chicks and someday enjoying your very own fresh eggs :)

Howdy from Kansas and
welcome-byc.gif
! Great to have you here! Lots of folks are going for a more self-sufficient lifestyle. Good luck and enjoy!

Back
Top Bottom