Hello from Nevada!!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by SWoolman, Feb 4, 2015.

1. SWoolman

SWoolman Just Hatched

Feb 4, 2015
    Hello all! We have decided to add 2-3 chickens to our family for the benefits of the eggs. Our room mates and my daughters boyfriend have never eaten a fresh egg so all are excited and I am lucky they are very good carpenters to build a coop!! I raised chickens for eggs in Colorado up until 4 years ago but have not in the summer heat here so any suggestions would be great. Will be a few months as I am getting ready to have a surgery but it gives me something exciting to focus on and plan for!!

Thank you!! :)[​IMG]

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

So glad you could join our community! I am sure your friends will enjoy the taste of fresh eggs right from under the hen!!

Good luck with your surgery. I hope you heal up fast!

Welcome to our flock!

3. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Good luck with your surgery and recover!

4. SWoolman

SWoolman Just Hatched

Feb 4, 2015
    Thank you very much!! [​IMG]

5. SWoolman

SWoolman Just Hatched

Feb 4, 2015
    Thank you very much!![​IMG]

6. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC![​IMG]I'm glad you joined us.

We'll be happy to answer any questions you may have! You may want to take a look at the Learning Center for lots of information on raising chickens: Learning Center Articles

7. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to our flock. If summers are really hot where you live, I would recommend getting Black Australorps. I've raised them for years (along with dozens of other breeds), and they are extremely hardy in both cold and heat. I raised them where winter temperatures dropped to 30 F below zero, and where summer temperatures frequently reached 117-118 F (sometimes hotter even), and in both climate extremes they came through like troopers. They are also calm and gentle (my children, and now my granddaughter, made lap pets of them), and the best layers of the standard, brown egg laying breeds. A Black Australorp holds the brown egg laying record with 364 eggs in 365 days. Whatever breed you get, be sure and supply plenty of summer shade, good coop ventilation, and lots of fresh, cool water for your flock. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck in getting your flock.

8. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] I'm glad you joined the BYC "flock!"

Good luck with your surgery, and any future chickens!

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to Backyard Chickens, hope your surgery brings the best possible outcome. [​IMG] Focusing on getting chickens is a lot more fun.

10. ChickyChickens

ChickyChickens Chickening Around

May 24, 2014
    BYC? Epic <3
    My Coop
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Welcome to BYC!!! There are loads of members on here…so if you have ANY questions…just ASK!!!

Hope you have loads of fun and all your answers answered here on BYC the BEST CHICKEN KEEPING FORUM on EARTH!!

[​IMG][​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by