Hello from new member in Naples, NY

Youngie51

In the Brooder
Aug 15, 2022
We started out with 6 hens a year and a half ago, affectionally known as the "Spice Girls", but recently lost 4 to a brutal fox attack. We are left with 2 that survived, Cinnamon and Sugar. Sugar, the more injured girl is slowly recovering with small improvements each day. I started referring to Backyard Chickens about a year ago. My wife and I are both retired. Nice to meet you all.

We started out with 6 hens a year and a half ago, affectionally known as the "Spice Girls", but recently lost 4 to a brutal fox attack. We are left with 2 that survived, Cinnamon and Sugar. Sugar, the more injured girl is slowly recovering with small improvements each day. I started referring to Backyard Chickens about a year ago. My wife and I are both retired. Nice to meet you all.
Welcome and nice to meet you Im sorry to hear about your flock. Im glad the other 2 are ok and getting better. Welcome to the flock. If you have any questions feel free to ask! :jumpy :wee

Glad to meet you. I am so sorry for your loss - we all get so attached to the chickens that it's a terrible thing to have such a brutal attack.

You probably have already done improvements, and DobieLover mentions electric fencing. Here is an article that helps explain that, and here is another article about improving predator protection in other ways. You can decide whether you need more, but half inch hardware cloth over the whole coop and run, with an apron of 2 feet of it around the base and pinned down is the basic best practice for beating all predators, along with improving closures (use carabiners) to beat those dextrous raccoons.

We hope to hear happier news and see pictures from you guys in the future!

Back
Top Bottom