Hello from New Mexico!

Zoomie

Songster
Dec 6, 2015
Mora, NM USA
I'm so happy I found this forum.

Many years ago I was raising lots of birds - bantams, chukars, button quail, pea fowl, Eastern turkeys and Lady Amherst pheasants. But then we moved to New Mexico, and the new place did not have an aviary, or much of anything, actually. It was basically a piece of ground with a barbed wire fence around it... so many years later now, I finally have a coop finished just today and ready for chickens again! I'm quite excited although frankly it will probably be a while before I have any birds - it's winter after all, chicks aren't really hatching yet, and so on.

But when I start looking for birds, I'll be looking for Faverolles. I don't know if there is anyone in my state who has them, but I'll sure take a look and see if there is anyone.

I also raise dairy goats (purebred registered Nubians) and make cheese. I figure chickens will like the whey! :) I've got miniature horses, which I hook to a cart and drive. And, I'm a horsehair braider. Crazy, I know, but that's what I do for a living - people send me hair from their horse, and I make stuff out of it for them. It's a tedious job, so I'm really looking forward to having chickens again for some relaxation. It's very nice to go out and "talk" to your birds. Oh yes and I do watercolor paintings and decided to use a tiny one I did for an avatar.

Really looking forward to getting to know people on the site and making new bird friends. Thanks for reading my post! And happy trails to you. :)

Hello there and welcome to BYC!! :frow

Here here....down in the south central mountains of New Mexico!!

Great to have you aboard!! You have definitely come to the right place to talk bird!

Stay warm up there. :)

Last edited:
Thank you so much for the warm welcome! Great to find not only fellow bird lovers but fellow New Mexicans. I love that!

This forum is pretty darn cool. I just discovered there are threads for cage birds as well - and I'm about to get back into raising canaries again. I raised colorbred birds for years then switched to Waterslagers (a song type canary) so this is just way cool.
woot.gif

Lots of New Mexicans here on BYC. Make sure to stop by the NM state thread too.

I used to raise Lovebirds and Cockatiels. Gotta love those Lovebirds! LOL

Definitely check out all of our forums and our archives for all kinds of bird talk.

Thank you again! Definitely will check out all that info - the NM State Fair thread sounds cool and I always love to learn so will certainly check out the Learning Center. Very cool. Happy trails.
frow.gif

welcome-byc.gif

Very nice intro, it was fun to read about the various types of birds you've raised. And you've already met a fellow NM...TwoCrows, one of the BYC moderators (very helpful folks).

I like your watercolor avatar and the horsehair braiding sounds interesting. There's a hobby forum here you might enjoy checking out:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/41/hobbies

There's also another forum for non-poultry animals:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/22/other-pets-livestock
(I'd love to see a photo of your mini horses sometime.)

Thanks for joining us, I think you'll find a lot of members here with similar interests!

Back
Top Bottom