Hello from New Mexico

barefootdrifter

In the Brooder
Dec 30, 2015
New Mexico
I'm just starting out (sort of) with my first flock of 26 birds, 25 black australorps and 1 cukoo maran. I've been obsessing with getting chickens for years now and finally convinced my husband into building a coop. I've been using backyardchickens to answer so many of my questions about getting started since I first got interested in chickens a coupe of years ago but finally decided to become a member because I'm having trouble finding an answer to my current chicken concern. Plus I've been living in the very rural area I currently live for just about a year now and haven't met anyone I can talk to about much of anything, let alone my chickens so I figured this would be a great community to be a part of!

Welcome!
frow.gif
Always good to have new members. It sounds like you are off to a pretty good start. Talking about chickens is what we are all about - could do it all day and not get bored!
smile.png
You said you have a current concern? Let us know, someone here can help you....

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. Black Australorps are a wonderful breed; extremely hardy, calm and gentle (good lap pets), and excellent layers. You should get lots of nice brown eggs from those girls. :eek:) If you haven't done so already, definitely check out our Learning Center at https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center. There is lots of useful information there. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Cheers.

Hi and a warm welcome to byc - great to have you onboard. You can talk chickens on this site to your heart's content, so feel free.

Ct

Welcome to Backyard chickens. What part of New Mexico are you from? I know we have a great BYCER in Corrales (hope I spelled that right) and also a moderator

Put New Mexico state thread, in the search box, and you'll be well on your way to finding locals who will assist you. My sister lives in Bernalillo, and my niece in Rio Rancho, no chickens though.- not allowed.

welcome-byc.gif
so glad you have joined us.

Honestly I love the shocked facial expressions on folks I meet when I casually mention that I have pet chickens
wink.png

But so much more fun to be here among fellow chicken lovers.

welcome-byc.gif

We not only talk about chickens all day here, we talk about ducks, quail, turkeys, geese, etc. AND have fun too! Feel free to jump in any of the threads that appeal to you, you'll find lots of friendly, interesting members here. If you like to bake (or just eat, lol), come join us on the home baker's thread...the link is in my signature line at the bottom of this post.

Thanks for joining us!

Welcome to Backyard chickens. What part of New Mexico are you from? I know we have a great BYCER in Corrales (hope I spelled that right) and also a moderator

Put New Mexico state thread, in the search box, and you'll be well on your way to finding locals who will assist you. My sister lives in Bernalillo, and my niece in Rio Rancho, no chickens though.- not allowed.
I live out west of Albuquerque, in Thoreau
welcome-byc.gif

We not only talk about chickens all day here, we talk about ducks, quail, turkeys, geese, etc. AND have fun too! Feel free to jump in any of the threads that appeal to you, you'll find lots of friendly, interesting members here. If you like to bake (or just eat, lol), come join us on the home baker's thread...the link is in my signature line at the bottom of this post.
I've only had my chickens for about 12 weeks now, but last spring I got 5 Pekin ducks then ended up adopting a chocolate Indian runner. We raised the pekins for meat, but the runner was supposed to be my garden duck. Unfortunately he kept eating the new vegetable flower buds off my plants so my garden didn't particularly flourish. Then I trimmed the long grasses and weeds in my garden and didn't change out his water after the clippings got in it so he got sick- I'm fairly certain it was botulism because of the lawn clippings- and he sadly didn't recover. I'm undecided on whether I want to venture into ducks again.

Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow

I am down here in the south central mountains!

Make yourself at home here. Pull up a roost bar and welcome to our flock!! :)

Back
Top Bottom