Hello from New York!

NewYorkChick

Chirping
Oct 18, 2021
Hi BYC Community!

My husband and I are moving from Chicago to rural New York in a couple of months with the goal of raising our own birds for meat and egg laying purposes. I have already learned so much from reading the articles and forums on this site. Thanks to everyone who has shared their experiences!

Below are a couple of questions I've been thinking about. If you have any experience with these things or any suggestions I would greatly appreciate any and all advice. Thank you!
  1. What type of predators should I be prepared to protect my flock against in central New York? Is it necessary to construct a chicken run to keep them safe during daytime strolls?
  2. We have quite a few acres, so I'm not worried about space. However, our land is on a bit of an incline. Are there certain birds that are more amenable to this living situation? Or is it a non-issue?
  3. For our meat birds, we are hoping to raise about 50-60 (trying to have a chicken a week with some extra in case of illness/injury). I've heard of the benefits of CornishX, so we'll likely try those out year one. What would you all suggest in terms of housing for these guys? I know they don't need as much as egg layers do (no need for laying boxes or perches or runs), but I'm unsure of what my goal structure should be (I will be trying to build something myself to keep costs down). Has anyone had success with particular plans?
  4. We are hoping to raise a dozen egg layers (we've been thinking of Plymouth Rock because we've heard they are steady layers, but open to suggestions). How long should we expect them to lay? Is there a certain point at which you all generally invest in new layers and butcher the flock? Is there an age at which you'd suggest not eating the birds (i.e. how old is too old)?
  5. I've heard some suggest getting a dog to stay outdoors overnight and protect the flock. Anyone had experience with this? Any breeds you would suggest or training resources you've used?
Thanks everyone for taking the time to read! Looking forward to learning from you all.
Stephanie

Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.

What type of predators should I be prepared to protect my flock against in central New York? Is it necessary to construct a chicken run to keep them safe during daytime strolls?
Raccoons, coyote, fox, black bears, bob cats, Fisher cats, weasels, stray dogs.
I contain my layer only flock behind poultry netting powered with a 10,000 volt charger. That has thus far kept out all ground predators.
The pen has a very large quince bush in it as well as a very large run with a solid roof. The bird area of the coop is 12x8 with 25' of linear roost space centered over 2' wide poop boards. The run is 28'x12' with two 8x4 annexes attached. Then entire thing basically one big coop so I have easily kept as many as 30 birds in it as I never close the pop door to the run.
I recommend having this type of setup for winter months as getting snow like this will be an issue for them to get around in:
Winter bury 1.jpg

We have quite a few acres, so I'm not worried about space. However, our land is on a bit of an incline. Are there certain birds that are more amenable to this living situation? Or is it a non-issue?
It's a non-issue.
For our meat birds, we are hoping to raise about 50-60 (trying to have a chicken a week with some extra in case of illness/injury). I've heard of the benefits of CornishX, so we'll likely try those out year one. What would you all suggest in terms of housing for these guys? I know they don't need as much as egg layers do (no need for laying boxes or perches or runs), but I'm unsure of what my goal structure should be (I will be trying to build something myself to keep costs down). Has anyone had success with particular plans?
I have never raised meat birds but plan to some day when I finally locate this illusive "free time" I hear people talking about...
I would recommend a tractor to keep your meat birds in. Something that you can move around the property every few days to keep the incredible amount of poop they produce spread out. It could also be kept behind a length of poultry netting to keep them safe until ready to process.
We are hoping to raise a dozen egg layers (we've been thinking of Plymouth Rock because we've heard they are steady layers, but open to suggestions). How long should we expect them to lay? Is there a certain point at which you all generally invest in new layers and butcher the flock? Is there an age at which you'd suggest not eating the birds (i.e. how old is too old)?
PBRs are a good choice as are Black Australorps and Wyandottes. I like to have birds with smaller combs as the breeds with large combs are prone to frostbite. I had plans to process older birds and raise replacement pullets each year. That will never happen! I've become far too attached to my birds, especially the originals.
Most people would recommend processing older hens when they go into their second or third molt. They would have to be stew birds or some other form of slow cooking as their meat would be tough at their age. There are plenty of good folks that can help you with those specifics in the meat bird forum!
I've heard some suggest getting a dog to stay outdoors overnight and protect the flock. Anyone had experience with this? Any breeds you would suggest or training resources you've used?
LGDs would be most useful during the day, not at night. At night, birds need to be secured in a predator proof enclosure. Something with excellent ventilation and no openings larger than 1/2". NO CHICKEN WIRE!! It is NOT predator proof. Well secured (with heavy duty poultry staples or screws with fender washers) 1/2" hardware cloth is the way to go.

Hi BYC Community!

My husband and I are moving from Chicago to rural New York in a couple of months with the goal of raising our own birds for meat and egg laying purposes. I have already learned so much from reading the articles and forums on this site. Thanks to everyone who has shared their experiences!

Below are a couple of questions I've been thinking about. If you have any experience with these things or any suggestions I would greatly appreciate any and all advice. Thank you!
  1. What type of predators should I be prepared to protect my flock against in central New York? Is it necessary to construct a chicken run to keep them safe during daytime strolls?
  2. For our meat birds, we are hoping to raise about 50-60 (trying to have a chicken a week with some extra in case of illness/injury). I've heard of the benefits of CornishX, so we'll likely try those out year one. What would you all suggest in terms of housing for these guys? I know they don't need as much as egg layers do (no need for laying boxes or perches or runs), but I'm unsure of what my goal structure should be (I will be trying to build something myself to keep costs down). Has anyone had success with particular plans?
  3. We are hoping to raise a dozen egg layers (we've been thinking of Plymouth Rock because we've heard they are steady layers, but open to suggestions). How long should we expect them to lay? Is there a certain point at which you all generally invest in new layers and butcher the flock? Is there an age at which you'd suggest not eating the birds (i.e. how old is too old)?
  4. I've heard some suggest getting a dog to stay outdoors overnight and protect the flock. Anyone had experience with this? Any breeds you would suggest or training resources you've used?
Thanks everyone for taking the time to read! Looking forward to learning from you all.
Stephanie
So glad you joined, Stephanie! :welcome
I don't know much about how to protect chickens in NY, and i don't do meat birds, so i can't help there.
But, egg laying hens, depending on the breed and diet, normally starts laying around 18-30 weeks of age. They normally stop laying when they're around 3-5 years old. As for dogs being guardians, most any breed can do it if trained correctly, but your typical Great Pyrenees or Pyratonlian (Anatolian/Great Pyrenees mix) does great.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom