Hello from New Zealand

Kiwichins

In the Brooder
Jun 28, 2015
New Zealand
Hi
Recently joined was a member few years back but hadn't been on for ages so thought would re join
Im in Dunedin New Zealand currently winter here atm been pretty cold lots of frosts and about 6 snow falls now
I have Backyard chickens in a large enclosed run with a shed and trees in it, works great have had problems with cats so used heavy duty bird netting and has stopped them getting in. Also have chinchillas, cat, Chihuahua , budgies and Japanese Quail
Love having hens sadly have a sick one at the moment posted about her don't want to loose her but I think I will respiratory illness

Welcome Back to the flock, we saved your place on the roost. Sorry to hear about your ill hen. When you go offline there is no way any of us can reach you, to offer advice etc. Hope your hen will be okay.

Welcome from Auckland! Hope to get to Dunedin next school holidays.Looking forward to it.Just saw pictures of you Araucanas.Very pretty birds.Sorry about your ill hen.Hope she recovers. Sometimes you just have to do your best. Penny.

Thanks your welcome great to be back sadly my hen that was sick died overnight she was isolated so hopefully no others get it gonna keep a close watch I think the fact she was nearly 7 didn't help her to recover sadly and she was such a lovely hen we raised from a egg ,Plan to disinfect coop and area she was in just incase , Great to find another kiwi on here

The Araucanas I have are just at point of lay brought 5 new hens in which could be why I got infectious bronchitis with my Faverolle who died
I got them maybe 6 weeks ago been getting 1 green egg a day some 1 has started laying I think the duckwing.
I also got 2 mixed farmyard hens that are barnvelder rhode island red crosses and they are laying and a buff sussex shes laying too
I do have another Araucana mix banty she lays small green eggs shes about 1 now love araucanas I used to have the Lavender ones but sold them when we moved to Dunedin from Christchurch and been hard to get more in that colour. I also love the Faverolles they are so cute sadly don't have any now , One day for now stick with what I have none in none out till we know if we get anymore sick hens I really hope not.
What breeds do you have Peastix ?

I have 2 Araucana crosses I picked up from Trademe 1 X Rhode Island Red.Lays a green egg 1 X Leghorn lays blue egg. 3 Orpingtons dark blue /black, white and splash I got from local breeder.1 Barred rock from another small breeder near Thames! Hubby thought I was mad but really wanted her as I had pet ones as a child.We are only allowed 6 here [suburbs] might be able to sneak another 1 or 2 in .Don't have a white egg layer hmm......Favorolles look so sweet - have heard them described as the teddy bear of the chicken world. Penny.

Dunedin doesn't have a number you can have just no roosters and vermin free and clean so we have quite a few more than 6 we built a huge area around a few trees as the run and build a shed behind the tree off the boundary as that's a rule that animal house needs to be off boundary here. Its a big area with plenty of shelter
I have araucanas , Sussex x barred rock lots of bantys that are silkie pekins and have a sizzle hen we hatched frizzle silkie cross shes really cute , a white Polish .Some farmyard x think they were rhode island red x barnvelders and the Buff sussex think that's all lol, Had hens 7 years now , They are so neat and so good making compost for us and give us eggs and they eat weeds and excess vegies from the garden.
Our kids love them have hatched some using broody hens but wont be this coming season incase of the respiratory thing.
We sell or barter excess eggs we just love not having cage eggs and they all have personalities more pets for us

Back
Top Bottom