Hello from New Zealand!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by nzchick, Nov 15, 2009.

1. nzchick

nzchick Out Of The Brooder

Hello all
    My name is Dominique and I am a hobby chicken owner.
    I currently have 30 chickens (includes 10 chicks) and counting! I live with my husband and 4 beautiful children in one of the most gorgeous places in the world, Christchurch New Zealand. We are hillside dwellers overlooking the ocean, and my friends all say that my chooks have got the best view in the city! (once I work it out, I will post pics of the views).
    I have many different breeds of chicken: orpington, australorp, easter egger, sussex, wyandotte, pekin, barnevelder, Rhode island red, wyandotte bantam, plymouth rock, cochin, brown shaver, and some crosses.
    I also rescue Battery hens and find new loving homes for them, which is very rewarding.[​IMG]
    I have had experience with many chicken emergencies such as dog attacks, crop impaction, air sac infection, pneumonia, egg binding, prolapse, egg peritonitis. Some with good outcomes and others not so good.
    I have had my fair share of battles with scaly leg mite, body louse, round worms, and I am still battling!

I drive my husband, children and friends crazy with my chicken dramas and realise its time to shut up when their eyes start to glaze over!
    This way of life is time consuming and requires alot of energy and effort, but I wouldn't have it any other way!

My idea of "time out" is spent with my chooks, and I'm sure my neighbour's all think they are living next to a crazy woman when they hear me talking to my "girls"[​IMG].

Thanks!

2. joedie

joedie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    SW Indiana
    [​IMG] Nice to have you join us!

3. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    [​IMG]

4. hen-thusiast

hen-thusiast Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    Utah
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

5. Overeasyplz

Overeasyplz Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2009
    Leesburg
    [​IMG] hello there! welcome!

6. PakehaCherie

PakehaCherie New Egg

Nov 15, 2009
    Northern California
    Hi! We just joined ourselves, and I had to post a reply - I am a Kiwi as well! [​IMG] I am originally from Auckland, but came to the US as a child.
    --PC

7. RobinZ

RobinZ Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2009
    Pennsylvania
    [​IMG]
    You're so far away, but so close on BYC.

8. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

[​IMG] from Washington State

Don't worry, you can talk chicken here all day and no one's eyes will glaze over

Imp

9. Hoosiermomma

Hoosiermomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    S.E Ind
    [​IMG] Dominique! [​IMG] from S.E Indiana!

10. Amyable

Amyable Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Greenleaf, WI
    [​IMG] from Wisconsin! Glad to have ya both, nzchick and PakehaCherie!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by