Hello from Norfolk, VA

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by RebPirate, Jun 21, 2016.

1. RebPirate

RebPirate New Egg

Jun 21, 2016
    Hello,
    I'm looking for a mentor in the Norfolk, Virginia area. I've been reading and researching backyard chickens for a while, but I'm still hesitant to just toss a couple of hens in the yard and hope for the best. I know that chicks are inexpensive, but I'm not willing to sacrifice lives (even chickens) just because I don't have the skill, knowledge, or ability.
    I'm also at a loss when it comes to laws concerning chicken sales. I only want two or three, but the law (city? state?) dictates that no fewer than six can be sold. So I'm also looking for someone to go "halves" with me once I'm confident enough to truly get started.
    I'd like hens that are easy for a novice to raise and which are fairly good egg producers.
    Thanks in advance,
    David

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to Backyard chickens. You could try and meet some neighbors through you state thread.

3. RebPirate

RebPirate New Egg

Jun 21, 2016
    Thanks, I just did that.

4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi David and welcome to our community. I'd suggest reading through the Breeds section to see what breed may suit you. As DD suggests, the peeps on your state thread may be able to advise on what breeds thrive in your neck of the woods also.

All the best

CT

5. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    [​IMG]
    Hope you find someone on your state thread! Bet ya do. [​IMG]

6. Athaid

Athaid Chillin' With My Peeps

Hey, welcome to BYC! I'm sure you'll find answers to all your poultry-related questions, there's always someone wiling to help - the community here is very friendly. :D Nice meeting you, cya around.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2016
  7. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] Good luck with your new venture!

8. Jucodeo

Jucodeo The Sky is Falling!

Jun 15, 2016
    [​IMG] and [​IMG]
    Hey @RebPirate I am so happy you joined our roost at BYC! I am so happy you joined our roost here at BYC!

Since you are new to chickens I will leave you the link to the most prominent learning area on this site our Learning Center a place with updated articles for old and new chicken raisers! https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

I hope you enjoy BYC and make sure to post pictures of your flock and give us updates on how you are doing here https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/40/family-life-stories-pictures-updates

If you ever plan on getting chicks or hatching your own follow these links and that is the place to go https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/11/raising-baby-chicks https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/5/incubating-hatching-eggs All the best of luck to you and your flock, and I hope you get a bunch of tasty eggs soon!
    Justin [​IMG]

9. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

10. ArlineJ

ArlineJ New Egg

Oct 25, 2016
    Hi David, I have my home for sale in Pa. and as soon as it sells I'll be moving to Norfolk,Va. I intend to get the 6 hens we are allowed by the city as soon as I get a hen house built. Go on the city web site and you can download the info for alowing chickens.
    See you in the south.
    Arline

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by