Hello from North Carolina!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by StephensonC, Oct 28, 2014.

1. StephensonC

StephensonC Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2014
    Richmond, Va
    Hi...I've been a member for a few weeks but haven't gotten around to introducing myself yet. But, so far I have found BYC to be very resourceful and informative. I am new to chickens and when my son brought home 13 a few months ago I was furious. HAHA.....we now have 21 and they quickly became mine instead of his. I love love love taking care of them and interacting with them. We have a little variety in our flock with some RIR's, White Leghorns, Golden Comets, EE's, Red Sex Links, and Bantams. We just rehomed our Barred Rocks because they were just a little to bossy and were causing bloodshed among the docile ones. We also have 3 Guineas and I love to hear them talk. We don't free range the chickens YET, but the Guineas stay out all the time. We have lots of trees for them at night. I live on a farm and don't have neighbors so I don't have to worry about my roosters. As a matter of fact, I welcome theirs crows all day long! Anyway, I'm looking forward to learning so much more and BYC is my go-to place for information. This site rocks!!

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC![​IMG] We're glad to have you. If you have any questions, feel free to ask!

Good luck with your flock!

1 person likes this.
  3. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join us. You have a nice variety of chickens. Golden Comets are actually one of many labels under which some hatcheries market their Red Sex Links, which are produced by crossing a red gene rooster with a silver gene hen. Some hatcheries like Cackle market their Red Sex Links under multiple labels (Golden Comet, Cinnamon Queen, and the standard Red Sex Link designation) depending on which silver gene hens were used in the cross, but no matter which label they are sold under, Red Sex Links are egg laying machines, outlaying either parent breed. It's one of the interesting quirks of hybridization. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

1 person likes this.
  4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

So glad you could join our community!

1 person likes this.
  5. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member Project Manager

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    [​IMG] So glad you joined us.

I found it surprising your BR were a problem. I have 3 BR and 3 BO - all were hatchery chicks from a local feed store, raised from 3 days old together, now around 20 mo old hens. They all get along well, no bullies. But chickens do have unique personalities. I had always read RIR were difficult and avoided those, but many on the forums report they are quite sweet.

Welcome to our flock. Glad your son brought them to you.

1 person likes this.
  6. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

Feel free to ask lots of questions! We're all here to help. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

8. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

9. StephensonC

StephensonC Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2014
    Richmond, Va
    Thanks everyone!

"Mountain Peeps" I love your coop pictures and the paintings are lovely. Can't say I like the bears though! LOL

10. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to Backyard chickens, so glad you decide to join the flock [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by