Hello from Northern California

May 28, 2020
Unfortunately, I begin my introduction by sharing that my brown Orpington hen died peacefully in her sleep last night. She was 8 years old and very sweet, if a little suspicious. She would greet us with little coo's and get sleepy-eyed when we held her. Her feathers where a deep brown with an iridescent sheen. How ironic that she looked like yet another food item -- chocolate Easter candy.

I wish she had had more time to enjoy the chicken run that I'd expanded for her and her buddy. (Ah, regrets.) I had added toys and activity items for their amusement: A sand bath; a birch log seat; and a wilderness fort which is more birch logs piled in a stable triangle for climbing. At least she was able to participate in the fun for a month. One of her last meals was a quarter of a tasteless watermelon I had picked up for the family. I hope to always remember the caution with which she tested the cool fruit for edibility.

One of my intentions in joining Backyard Chickens is to find a local breeder who has a young adult hen I can buy. We'd like either another Orpington or a Jersey Giant which is the heritage of my remaining year old hen. I'd open my mind to other breeds as well with a focus on beauty but not bantams. Nor those alien, upright chickens because I'm afraid of them.

If you or someone you know live in the Sacramento area and might have a hen who needs a good home, I'd love to hear from you but I hope to find you first. Until then I have a burial to perform.

Sincerely, Marilyn

Unfortunately, I begin my introduction by sharing that my brown Orpington hen died peacefully in her sleep last night. She was 8 years old and very sweet, if a little suspicious. She would greet us with little coo's and get sleepy-eyed when we held her. Her feathers where a deep brown with an iridescent sheen. How ironic that she looked like yet another food item -- chocolate Easter candy.

I wish she had had more time to enjoy the chicken run that I'd expanded for her and her buddy. (Ah, regrets.) I had added toys and activity items for their amusement: A sand bath; a birch log seat; and a wilderness fort which is more birch logs piled in a stable triangle for climbing. At least she was able to participate in the fun for a month. One of her last meals was a quarter of a tasteless watermelon I had picked up for the family. I hope to always remember the caution with which she tested the cool fruit for edibility.

One of my intentions in joining Backyard Chickens is to find a local breeder who has a young adult hen I can buy. We'd like either another Orpington or a Jersey Giant which is the heritage of my remaining year old hen. I'd open my mind to other breeds as well with a focus on beauty but not bantams. Nor those alien, upright chickens because I'm afraid of them.

If you or someone you know live in the Sacramento area and might have a hen who needs a good home, I'd love to hear from you but I hope to find you first. Until then I have a burial to perform.

Sincerely, Marilyn
So sorry for your loss. I feel the same way about those scary looking upright chickens. I just got into chickens last year and I love them! Hope you can find another bird for your flock.

Back
Top Bottom