Hello from Northern Nevada

mykidsdaddy

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jun 7, 2009
Hi! My name is Andy! We live in a very small town about 100 miles north of Reno, NV. There is not much here, the gypsum mine/sheetrock plant and the desert. The town is only here BECAUSE of the plant.
Anyway...there is a yearly event that puts us on the map, its called Burning Man. It is hard to describe exactly what Burning Man IS...but for a couple of weeks each year, the Black Rock Desert is "home" to 50,000 people + or - a few. Kinda like a modern Woodstock but without the bands... I personally have not attended the event. My in-laws own a grocery store here. It is the only store for the community and the next closest store is 75 miles from here. My wife and I and our son moved up here several months ago to help her parents. So...thats how we came to live where we can have chickens.

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
We had Bantams when I was a kid and about 25 years ago I lived in a rural area of Southern Calif, I had 2 horses, a Nubian and a Pygmy goat, a turkey and about a dozen chickens.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
I have 3 Wyandotts and 8 Americaunas(sp?)

(3) What breeds do you have?
See #2

(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com?
I was looking on Google for a picture of Americaunas

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
I raise some other rather disgusting little critters...They are commonly refered to as Teenagers!!!
wink.png

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
My wife and I are on our last of 8 kids. He turns 15 in 2 weeks. We enjoy boating and camping. We sold our boat last year and haven't got another YET!!! But we will soon!!!
I am an industrial electrician, I work on machinery and control circuitry for process and production.

Other pets would be our two dogs Skunky and Kate. Skunky is a 5 yr old male Pomeranian. He is colered/marked like a skunk, hence the name. One of his little "quirks'...and i might add...he started doing this at about 4 months old...long after he was given the name Skunky. He will rest with his chest on the ground and his butt in the air just like a skunk!!!
Kate...she's the female equivilant of Marley! Need I say more??? Yellow lab with more energy than any 10 toddlers and the "What did I do" attatude of 10 teenagers!!!

So...that's me!

I am looking forward to getting to know some "peeps" here. I have already been reading some posts and have decided I need not look further for info/support re: chicken raising!

Welcome mykidsdaddy!
Glad you found this fun, friendly, informative site!
So cool you get to have chickens again!!

When is the Burning Man event?

welcome-byc.gif
from SC!

Chickens started out as a homeschool project about two years ago and has "blossomed." My husband also works on motors & controls (computers, etc). You guys certainly are good at keeping things running! Though I have a hard time figuring out how...
roll.png

I have, (of course) chickens~~I also have some newer ducklings, a mini poodle, an odd looking yorkie that looks like an australian terrier, plus one fluffy mutt cat that thinks its better than anyone else. And a recent "found-under-the-coop" kitten that needs a new inside home soon as it is a bit afraid of the outside world.

My kids are great. Teens are a challenge, but they surely come up with some interesting & novel ideas for sure~some which make your hair stand on end at times?! But, I love them to bits. They scare me sometimes though......
ep.gif
I think that is their personal mission for now.
celebrate.gif
big_smile.png

I have learned a ton here on BYC! You will love it here, I am sure.
smile.png

Quote:
It runs August 31 - Sept 3 If you are interested, check out

http://eplaya.burningman.com/index.php

There is plenty to learn before you spend a week in the desert.

Oh yeah...I didn't mention earlier...of the 50,000 or so people out there, probably 1/4 are observing the "clothing optional" mindset!

Like I said...I haven't been there. I have lived in No. Nevada for as long as they have been holding the event and have always been working or ??? just never have gone. Alot has to do with raising kids. I don't think it is a place to take kids. Some people do, but that's them...not me. Now, I only have a 15 yr old to deal with left. My wife and I are thinking of going this year just because we are locals now.

Quote:
Thanks for the welcome! I have already learned alot! Enough to know that now...I am not sure if I have Americaunas or Aracaunas!
barnie.gif

I guess I will have to wait a few more weeks till they complete their transformation from chicks to chickens!

frow.gif
Thanks for sayin' Hi! I should be outside working on my coop instead of the computer:idunno
It's June and Sunday...I should be having a nice cold beer and enjoying the sunshine...working outdoors with no shirt gettin' tan.
Instead, I am wearing long pants and a sweatshirt and still have a cup of coffee here on the computer stand. It has been cold and stormy for the last week! I live in the desert!!!

rant.gif
OK! Rant over...Mother Nature seems to be a bit mixed up this year.

Back
Top Bottom