Hello from Norway

Imse

Chirping
Mar 8, 2021
Norway
Hello šŸ„°
I'm a half Norwegian, half Canadian lady. We have had hens on our small farm for the last 19 years. But we always learn something new.

Today, there are 6 fowls in our coop; 1 lohman rooster, 1 lohman hen, 1 hedemora(swedish breed) rooster and 3 hedemora hens. We are in between breeds, the lohman rooster will have to go.

Living on a small farm, chickens are really fun, they give eggs, manure and are so enjoyable to just watch.

We also have a cat and 2 free roaming rabbits in our house.

Welcome! Those are amazing chickens breeds. Are they common in Norway?
Lohman (white and brown) are really common . We got 3 roosters and 3 hens of white lohman in 2016 . And the hens layed egg almost every day, big eggs. Two weeks ago we sat there with the remaining Billy the rooster and Lucky. The lohman hens do not brood.

We have been in search for hedemora for many years, but are always too late when we see someone for sale. There are not uncommon in Norway, but there aren't too many.
I was going to get eggs from Sweden, but then Corona came and the borders closed. But two weeks ago we were lucky and got hold of a rooster and 3 hens. One of the hens are totally black, so yippee.
Hedemora are good brooding mama's. And I hope these 3 are.

So when they all start laying eggs, we'll have to separate Billy lohman, so we'll get pure hedemora.

Back
Top Bottom