Hello from Ohio!

letsgobucks!

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jul 9, 2009
Ohio
Greetings and glad to be a member!

We're a traditional Christian family, married with a "brood" of kids between 10 and 1. We live on the outskirts of Columbus, OH in a "suburb" more or less. Both of us raised in the city more or less. No country/farm experience whatsoever other than watching "Hee Haw" and "Dukes of Hazard" as a kid!
tongue.png

We REALLY want some acearage (no less than 5) but haven't been led to the right situation. Hopefully someday....

We have 3 hens all named by the older kids. Americauna (named Opal because she will lay different colored eggs), Silver Laced Wyandotte (Lacy) , and a Buff Orpington (Knit Nonny...long silly story and named by one of the younger kids...) We are totally new to this.

They girls are about 5 weeks old now and I'm just now finishing the shed/chicken coop (combo) that I have worked steadily on now for about 3 weeks. It's quite the design for a DIY such as ourselves. Fun stuff!

We are currently working through and researching the typical issues such as messy water, messy food, providing proper roosting with a poop board, etc. This forum has been great for getting ideas.

We are having a blast this summer. We have not turned on the TV since school has been out. It's our family challenge and we have had a great time being outside, being active, camping, fishing, using the slip n' slide, and watching what we call "the chicken channel." Of course at first the chicks were in a box in our family room and now they are out in the shed/coop doing well.

That's all I can think of right now...Again, glad to be part of the forum!
big_smile.png

It sounds like your summer has been full of fun and enriching activities! Good for you guys!

Welcome and I hope you find that acreage you want soon!
frow.gif

welcome-byc.gif
from MN!

Good luck on finding the land you want! Having a hobby farm is a lot of work but a lot of fun too. It gets the kids involved and they learn a lot from any future animals you may bring into your family.

frow.gif
and
welcome-byc.gif
from S. Florida. What a fun filled summer you are having, thats so wonderful. Wow, no t.v. since school got out?! You are terrific! Don't know how you did that, but I'd like some of it.
tongue.png
Keep on enjoying your "babies" and the family, thats what its all about!

Thanks for the
frow.gif
from all of you. I'm excited to be part of the fraternity. Dang, why are chickens such a fun hobby!?!?!

Peace to all!!!

Back
Top Bottom