Hello from Oklahoma

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by halfdraw, Mar 9, 2015.

1. halfdraw

halfdraw New Egg

Mar 9, 2015
    Howdy, I'm new to the sight. I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on which chickens I should start my flock with. Breeds of chickens, how many to start out with, etc. Any thing is gonna help me out. And thanks.

2. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided join to our flock. It depends on what your criteria is for your chickens. If egg production is your main priority, I would suggest Black Sex Links (Black Stars), which are hardy and friendly, egg laying machines. I've raised them for years (along with dozens of other breeds and hybrids), and they have been my best layers, consistently churning out more than 300 eggs per hen per year. If you are wanting very docile breeds that can be easily turned into lap pets, I would suggest going with one of the breeds that has a well deserved reputation for being calm and gentle, such as Australorps, Orpingtons, Brahmas, Cochins, Sussex, or Faverolles. If egg production is also important, Australorps are the best layers on this list. For meat birds, Cornish cross is the way to go. With their incredible growth rate, they are ready for butchering at 8 weeks. In fact, if you wait much beyond that, they will begin having serious health problems due to their abnormal growth rate. How many chickens you should start with depends again on your purpose. If eggs are priority, you need to figure out how many eggs a week you will need. A Black Sex Link will give you 6-7 eggs per hen per week. Australorps 5-6 eggs per hen per week. Other breeds on the list of docile breeds I gave you will lay somewhat less how many will depend on the breed). If you just want friendly chickens for pets, I would recommend starting with just a few and see how that works out for you. You can always add more later. Just be sure and build your coop large enough to add more later. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Whatever breed you decide to get, good luck with your flock.

1 person likes this.
  3. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

It depends on what you are wanting. Chickens for meat, eggs, exhibition or companionship? Since you live in Oklahoma you probably need a hardy bird that can withstand hot temps. Rhode island reds, sex links, leghorns, andalusians, barred rocks and brahmas are all good heat hardy birds.

Here is a good link on choosing chicken breeds for you
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/how-to-pick-the-right-chicken-breeds-for-you

4. halfdraw

halfdraw New Egg

Mar 9, 2015
    Thank you for the link Mountain Peeps it was very educational as well as helpful. I hope to be getting the m sometime in the near future .

5. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    You're welcome! Good luck![​IMG]

6. Chicken Cabins

Chicken Cabins Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2015
    NE Texas
    Good luck, I like Rhode Island red laying hens,for eggs. I am getting started on show quality bantams for hobby.

7. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

8. MutzFarm

MutzFarm Out Of The Brooder

Aug 3, 2014
    Texas
    [​IMG][​IMG]

9. ChickyChickens

ChickyChickens Chickening Around

May 24, 2014
    BYC? Epic <3
    My Coop
    [​IMG]Welocme to BYC!!! It is an aweosme forum (the BEST in the world) and has a great comminity!!! Hope you have a great time and learn A LOT!

10. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Michael gave you some very good suggestions and advice, so I will just say welcome to backyard chickens,

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by