Hello from Omaha, Nebraska!

Candachan

In the Brooder
10 Years
Dec 12, 2009
Omaha
Here we go!

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?

I'm a 22-year-old female and a total chicken newbie. When I was a child my Dad worked for a commercial chicken processing center driving busloads of chicks around, and one day a little chickie managed to stow away with him, and that's how Fluffy came home to live with us. I loved that little yellow babe, and I carried him all over the place! Unfortunately, we ended up giving him to a family that already had chickens, and he ended up being killed by their rooster.
sad.png
I never forgot about him, and just recently I've been getting very interested in the idea of keeping chickens as pets, as well as the idea of sustainable living and urban farming in general! Eventually it would be my dream to have a house with enough of a yard to have chickens, rabbits, bees, pygmy goats, and who knows what else!

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?

I am currently in the process of moving into a good-sized 2 bedroom apartment with my boyfriend James, we have been together for 2.5 years. He really enjoys the idea of chickens as pets, which is shocking because he is not a big animal guy. I have been toying with the idea of building a small indoor coop out of a dog kennel I already have, and keeping a pair of hens as house chickens. I know it's a bit of a controversial issue, so I'm trying not to rush into anything. It looks like it will be some time before I get to have my dream house, so I'm trying to make due with the space and resources I have. Anything is possible! Right now, I mostly want to learn.

(3) What breeds do you have?

I am interested in breeds like Silkies, Sebrights, Japanese Bantams, Seramas, and Mille Fleur. James said he wants a Jersey Giant! Can you imagine what an impressive house chicken that would be!
lol.png

(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com?

Found it through Googling
lol.png

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?

I love all animals, music, art, crafts, and the Internet!

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.

I work in an animal research facility as an animal caretaker, basically up-keeping all of the lab rats, mice, rabbits, and pigs we have. I really love my job and being interactive with critters. I also am taking college courses for a major in Biology when I can find the time. As for pets, right now I have a kingsnake and a betta fish.

I have a history of various health problems, and I sometimes describe myself as a sickly person. I'm a cancer survivor, and I actually underwent surgery this year to remove half of my thyroid so hopefully that's the end of that. I'm also a very anxious person, I actually have a Doctor's letter on file allowing me to have Emotional Support Animals, which chickens could fall under. Who knows what the future holds!

Last edited:
Quote:
I believe so, yes. It's not my bunny, though, just a cute picture I found.

Thank you for the Welcome, everyone! I'm hoping to connect with local chicken-keepers and other people who keep house chickens.
smile.png

welcome-byc.gif
from Oklahoma! I can attest to the emotional calming that watching chickens peck around in the backyard can bring. Good luck with your chicken plans!

Back
Top Bottom