Hello from Ontario

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Tinyredbox, Jun 10, 2016.

1. Tinyredbox

Tinyredbox New Egg

Jun 10, 2016
    Hi, I'm new to BYC.

One year ago I convinced my husband that we should have chickens. I was unable to eat grocery store eggs and wanted fresh eggs of our own. We started with 16 day old gold laced Wyandottes (nine of which turned out to be Roos). I was concerned that my chicken keeping skills would be equilivent to my gardening skills, but we managed to raise them all without incident. We kept one roo and and added some more pullets.

It turned out I enjoy my chickens even more than I thought I would and they are more than just birds for eggs. They have become family pets:) Our coop is already more than large enough, but plans for a bigger round came quickly.

We "adopted" five more pullets last fall. I'm not sure what kind the are, but they are sociable and good layers, though they came with a host of bad habits - egg eating, feather picking etc. that we just now managed to eliminate,

This year we have added two cream Legbar pullets and 4 black cooper Marans - they are just shy of 5 wks old so I'm not sure on the sex yet.

This site has a lot of great info on it and has been very helpful for us.

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! :frow

Yes, these birds sure do find a way to get into your heart. When they sit on your lap and stare into your eyes, your heart cant help but melt. LOL

Make yourself at home here and ask any questions you may have.

Enjoy all your birds and the adventures with them and welcome to our flock! :)

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Glad BYC has been so useful for you. It can do even more - once chicks are 6 weeks old you can post photos of the individual birds at "what breed or gender is this."

4. Tinyredbox

Tinyredbox New Egg

Jun 10, 2016
    Yes, I didn't expect them to have such personalities. The morning trek to the coop is never about just fresh food, water and feed. They greet me at the door and follow me everywhere. I love the noises they make - even our rooster. If I could have more tham one I would. :)

5. Tinyredbox

Tinyredbox New Egg

Jun 10, 2016
    I'm quite curious. The legbars are auto sexing, so I know they are pullets. Of the 4 Marans, three looked exactly the same / black with yellow chests and white on their wing tips. They had cream feathered legs that are now starting to turn slate coloured. Now that they are starting to feather, they are losing their yellow down on their chest. The fourth maran chick however was completely black with slate legs already, it isn't feathering as fast as the other three and still has no signs of any tail feathers yet. They were all hatched the same day, so it will be interesting to see if it is a differ sex than the other three or maybe that has nothing to do with it at all.

6. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hello and welcome to our community - i hope that you enjoy being a member as much as the rest of us.

Best wishes
    CT

7. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
  8. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by