Hello from Ontario

Jiffy

Hatching
10 Years
Mar 11, 2009
Hello Everyone

I've been researching raising chickens lately and came across this site and think it might just be the place too be!
I can't ever remember being around a chicken so I have no idea what I am doing but I would really like to get some chickens soon but am not entirely sure were to start. I assume building the coop would be the best place to start but I am not sure as to what size, because I don't know how many chickens to get. I would like them for the eggs but I'm not even sure of the best layers, how many eggs a chicken can produce in a day?......so I hope you will all have fun teaching me and I can't wait to gain the knowledge and experience.

welcome-byc.gif

welcome-byc.gif

You certainly have your work cut out for you!
lol.png

I would suggest you have a sit-down heart-top-heart with yourself and figure out what the max number of chickens you would like is, and build your coop accordingly. Then start searching the threads (the search button is above in the blue like below BackYardChickens Forum) and start looking at coop designs, discussions on the breeds, and caring for your flock. You will want to choose breeds suitable for your weather... we have extreme cold temps here, so I chose pea- and rose-combed birds for my flock to help avoid frostbite.
This site will help you choose the characteristics in a bird that you want...
http://www.ithaca.edu/staff/jhenderson/chooks/chooks.html

Generally, hens only lay one egg a day. I've heard of some laying two a day, but that's not common.
Good luck, and ask away!

Been going through some stuff in the forum and there is alot to know. Wonder if I'll be getting them this year after all?

Well start one thing at a time I guess, start with coop and run and see how that goes.

miss_thenorth - I am in Norfolk County, you?

big_smile.png
well I can see you two will most likely be very helpful when it comes time to getting the chickens. What breed and were to get them from are two other areas I know nothing about.

a coop would be a great start...lol

I have 10 hens and they are just a layer variety from a local hatchery

http://www.freyshatchery.com/index1.html

I have 5 people in my house hold and we get more then enough eggs...and trust me we eat a lot of eggs..on average i get about 6 eggs a day in the off season...lol.....we will see what comes in prime time

my hens are
3 black sex link
3 RIR
and 4 Brahmas

my hens were hatched april 3rd (ish) 2008 and went outside in the big girl coop in about june

my biggest issue so far has been freezing water...

we are planning a coop rebulid this spring/summer

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom