Hello from Oregon

Squirrelgirl315

Chirping
6 Years
Sep 24, 2015
Hi ya!

I'm just starting to do my research on chickens and thought this would be a great place to start. I don't have any right now but hopefully in a month or so I can pick some up. I would be raising them for eggs/pets. All my animals are my babies haha chickens wont be any different lol I rehab wildlife and i've had horses, cats, dogs, mice, and bunnies, etc...

The one question I have right now is about how much do they cost per month? I would like to have two or three.
I'm super excited to start reading, I have a couple books on the way.

welcome-byc.gif

That's kind of a tough question to answer. The cost of the chickens you get can vary, who you buy them from, how old they are when you get them, what breed they are. Then their is the cost of their housing, you can spend a fortune building a palace or use recycled materials and go for function instead of looks. Or buy a pre-built coop. The type of bedding will vary on price. Little chicks eat less than big chickens that are laying and it matters if you free range or if they are confined in a run. If any of them get sick or injured there's cost for fixing them up. Where you live can make a difference.

I'm sure I've left out other factors but as you can see, there isn't one clear cut answer. Maybe you can give us an idea of exactly what you have in mind on some of these and we can give you an estimate.

welcome-byc.gif

With just a few chickens the cost shouldn't be bad. With my 138...that's a different story!
Have fun with your new flock! What breed(s) are you getting? I'm sure you'll enjoy them!

The housing wont be a factor, I can make it and i've already have all the material for it. yay! I'm not sure on what breeds, still researching that. I guess a better question would be for two to three chickens what would be a safe to say $$ a mount a month for like food? Like $10 to $20 or $30 to $40 a month? I don't know if they require any supplements a month or anything other then food a month if they are healthy chickens. I haven't had a chance to really do much research yet. I live in Oregon, it rains a lot and can be pretty cold. I'm assuming they will most likely need some kind of heat source. I don't know if that information makes it any easier to answer my question or not. Thank you guys for your reply's =]

Wow! that's l lot of chickens =] that's awesome. What breeds do you have? Whats your favorite for like eggs?

Check out the Learning center, so you'll know what's in store for you when you have poultry. If you aren't fussy you can always find someone selling chicks/chickens for a couple to a few bucks each. Feeding 2 birds wouldn't break the bank,

Back
Top Bottom