Hello from Petaluma, CA!

Hi there!

I have long been a lover of birds (since I was a little girl) and I've always had a special place in my heart for quail. What's not to love about those little teardrop-shaped characters?? I'd love to have chickens, ducks, geese, turkeys, all the birds... but we're renters at the moment, so I'm starting with a small flock. We do have 2 acres to play with, so that's a plus!

I have (hopefully) 4 jumbo and 2 celadon coturnix hens coming my way from a local breeder in a little over a week, and I've been hungrily devouring every scrap of research I can find for the past couple of months in anticipation of their arrival. My fiancé and I are also in the process of building a 4x8' outdoor floor pen/aviary for them, which should hopefully be finished by the time they're 5-6 weeks old and ready to go live outside. I'll definitely post updates when we've finished the aviary, as I can see people love seeing others' setups, and seeing other folks' aviaries has definitely given me lots of ideas as we've been brainstorming & sketching!

I want to raise quail first and foremost as pets, because I just love them and think they're the cutest, but I was also very excited to learn that their eggs are edible! I'm starting with coturnix but would eventually like to raise California Valley quail. I know that coturnix are simpler to care for, so I thought it would be wise to start there before jumping into the New World quail pool. I'm very excited to be here, and I know I will learn a lot. I was a vet tech for about 8 years, with most of my career being spent at an avian hospital, so I think I'm pretty well prepared, but I am new to keeping poultry myself so I know I have plenty more to learn. We also have 2 cats and a dog, all of whom will be very interested in the new family members I'm sure :)

Anyway, nice to be here!
Welcome to BYC!!

Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow

Quail are SO much fun to keep! Especially Coturnix, they are very intelligent, can be clicker trained and are affectionate. They will snuggle with you if you start them out early with a lot of handling. Super fun little birds.

Enjoy your flock and welcome to ours!

Welcome to the coop! I use the Forums and Articles tabs at the top of the page to do research. You can get lost for hours. It's nice to know you are minutes away from getting help with questions and emergencies! I always check in the "What's New" section as well at the top of this page. This way I can read how I may have a similar question or help give some advice.

Back
Top Bottom