Hello from Philadelphia suburbs!

NotoriousHensburg

In the Brooder
Aug 13, 2020
Hello:)
I’m a new member introducing myself.
I used to work with a rooster at a local zoo, training him to pick out recyclables from a group of items. The worlds first recycling chicken! That was a couple of years ago and my 12 year old just loved him. fast forward 3 years, He’s been asking for a pet bird for years and we’d been researching the best fit when we had the aha moment of why not a pet chicken. We were thinking 2-3 hens but of course this was during the first weeks of quarantine so mail order was the only way for us. After researching breeds we ended up ordering 10 Easter Eggers from Hoover’s Hatchery in Iowa. All ten arrived healthy and are now 15 weeks old. I was not prepared for how much I would worry about them non stop..their temperature, their diet, do they have enough space(90sq ft and we’re already adding on to the run!), should we deworm, do they have scale, are their combs the right color, why is one so small, do we have a rooster(yes!) And on and on! I found myself reading threads on this site more days than not and so I figured that I’d go ahead and join. We had a very sad loss of two of our little pullets, we think that one of them must have jumped up and grabbed the string that allows you to open the coop from the inside and released the latch. In less than an hour of them being out unattended two were gone, just vanished, I am assuming hawk predation due to lack of feather and gore.
We were devastated! So we now have only 8, 7 pullets and 1 accidental roo( our little roo had originally been named Dot and so now we call him Tod) So far our cul-de-sac neighbors are very accepting of the 5:30 wake up call! I think they know our son would be heartbroken if he had to go.
Boy oh boy is he ever a boy! Pic attached:>
We are now adding extra run space and planning to add 3 hens next spring!
Love this site! It’s been very helpful along the way!
Thanks and glad to be a new member:)

Attachments

• 6FAD6460-0C24-4804-B663-84032ED935DB.jpeg
    6FAD6460-0C24-4804-B663-84032ED935DB.jpeg
    611.5 KB · Views: 6

Back
Top Bottom