Hello from S.E. Idaho

SigWaldo

In the Brooder
Sep 25, 2015
Idaho Falls Idaho
My name is Dave. If you are trying to figure out my username let me help you out. I am am a Sig Sauer fan, hence the Sig. Years ago an employee told me I looked like Waldo. So SigWaldo was born.
As far as chickens go I would say my knowledge is that of a 1st grader. But I am a quick learner. I am excited to learn from you all. I built a quick pull around the yard style coop because we had to move fast. My wife had found 3 Black Star pullets that were 18 weeks old. In order to get them before they were gone we had to move quickly. Wanting to build a more permanent home for the gals. So looking for ideas. Have seen the Wichita Cabin coop that looks good. But would definitely like to see other ideas. S.E. Idaho is at about 4700 feet. It is a high desert plain with VERY long cold winters. Also the little ladies are now 21 weeks old. Shouldn't we start seeing some production by now. They have good fresh water and a good layer feed. And extra lighting to extend their day. Anything else I can be doing?

Welcome to Backyard chickens. What you have is what we call a tractor? If can be moved around daily so the chickens don't tear up all the grass etc. If you visit the coops forum you can get many ideas- coops of all sizes, styles, needs. As well as coops made out of converting other things, sheds, playhouses, etc. It would be a very good thing for you to post on your state thread. Just put " Idaho thread," in the search box and it should pop up. People in your area best know what it takes to get through winter and other weather extremes...

The Learning center (above) is the best place to jump start your poultry education .

Welcome to the BYC flocK! We are glad you joined us!

jumpy.gif
D.gif
welcome-byc.gif
D.gif
jumpy.gif

Hi Dave, welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Congratulations on getting your first flock, you'll be seeing eggs before a whole lot longer I'm guessing. With your black sex link girls, once they start they should be giving you large brown eggs almost every day. Are you starting to see signs they are gearing up (like squatting, bright red combs & wattles)? It's tough waiting for that first egg!

Thanks for joining us and when you do get that first egg, you'll have to share a picture of it!

Back
Top Bottom