1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hello from San Diego (Escondido)!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by casscapp3, Nov 9, 2013.

1. casscapp3

casscapp3 New Egg

Oct 31, 2013
    Escondido, CA
    Hello Everyone!

I am very excited to be starting my flock next month (Dec) after years of wanting to but never having the right situation (HOAs, moves, etc). We just moved to 1.8 acres in Escondido (North SD County) and despite the current HOA rules I am going to give it a shot. We live on top of a hill with no neighbors anywhere close and no one can see into our yard at all.

I have a chain link fenced 2000 sqft side yard that is a blank canvas (literally dirt). My biggest worry will be the coyotes and hawks that are regulars in our area due to the large lots and spread out housing. I have purchased 8' tall rolled bamboo fencing to reinforce the outside of 5' chain link fence and plan on wire mesh secured to the bottom and brought out at a 90deg angle towards the outside several feet and covered with flagstones. I have no intention of serving chicken dinners to the local predators... if I can avoid it.

I have settled on the 8 hen Garden Coop http://www.thegardencoop.com/ with a possible green roof modification to help with heat control.

My daughter is 3.5 years old so I am looking to get hens that will be 'pets' as well as egg layers. She is crazy for all animals and I think chickens will be a great experience for her. I am also 3 months pregnant and I am motivated to raise my chicks to pullets before the baby comes.

My current breed wishlist (in order):
    Black Australorp
    Barred Plymouth Rock
    Ameraucana
    Rhode Island Red
    Buff Orpington
    Silver Laced Wyandotte
    and eventually Silkies

After a lot of thought I am going to use a mail order hatchery to get my chicks. Healthy Chicks and More http://www.healthychicksandmore.com/ has the breeds that I want available in December. They require a minimum order of 10 chicks which is a few more than I want but I know some people that may want some extra pullets assuming they all reach maturity. I may even take the hatchery up on the free mystery chick offer just out of curiosity.

Well I think I have gone on long enough for my first post. Can you tell I am excited?!

2. Teri Metcalf

Teri Metcalf Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2013
    College Station, Texas
    Greetings from Texas! Sounds like you're preparing well and that you have a real nice spot north of San Diego. Best wishes with your hatchlings, and may they be mostly girls.

3. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! Happy you joined!

4. boskelli1571

boskelli1571 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 7, 2011
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Lordy girl! [​IMG] Sounds like you have everything well organized & planned..........are you sure you're getting the chicks for your daughter??? LOL I know you will have a ton of fun with your chicks - there is absolutely nothing better than 'Chicken TV' for relaxing!
    Enjoy - and [​IMG] Sue

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] does the hatchery quarantee the sex

6. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome to BYC!

7. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Congratulations on your new home, and welcome to BYC.

8. chickenboy190

chickenboy190 Overrun With Chickens

May 31, 2013
    Ohio
    [​IMG]

9. All Henned Up

All Henned Up Muffs or Tufts

Welcome and enjoy BYC
    Steve. :frow

10. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by