Hello from Sask

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by 4Kids, Dec 1, 2012.

1. 4Kids

4Kids Out Of The Brooder

Dec 1, 2012
    Hi there

I am a natural-living Mommy of 4 kids who moved to 460 acres to give the kids natural healthy living and do some homesteading. We have 14 hens, and 2 roosters, and 4 goats. We will be adding cattle and a milk cow soon.

I have Americaunas, one grey mixed chicken, a peachy-coloured one, some Barred rock crosses, and we have added 4 red hens. Actually I have a question about them and I will be posting it soon.

We get mostly blue and brown eggs, but have got sage green and olive green as well. It appears my Americaunas are taking a little break from laying, it is currently -25 and the days are short here. The sun comes up at 9am and goes down at 5:30pm. I do keep lights on for them and we do get about 5 eggs a day.

My chickens live in a coop that has 15 boxes, is about 12 x 15 and has a wallow with ashes/sand and a gravel and a couple extra roosts and a walk-out. They stay in there at night and during the day when the goats get turned out they have the run of the whole barn. Their feathers gleam and they are very sociable, they eat a lot of good stuff, mainly the laying mash, alfalfa (as much as they would like), black oil sunflower seed, oats, some cracked corn/grain mix (it is so cold I think they need extra fat and oil), whatever leftover scraps I have--grapes, carrot gratings, apple peels, bread, etc. They peck and scratch and talk etc.

My lead rooster is a Blue Wheaten Bantam Americauna, and the other rooster is a Barred Rock crossed with somethin g that gives me yellow and geren tinges to his wings.

I have lurked quite a bit.

Jackie :)

2. iLoveAllChickys

iLoveAllChickys Out Of The Brooder

Dec 1, 2012
    Hi
    Welcome to BYC[​IMG]

3. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

4. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

5. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

6. The Howards

The Howards Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi and welcome. Boy you are living my dream. Hubby and I have talked repeatedly about moving so we can get lots of land and homestead. Hard work no doubt but i think it will all be worth it.

7. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan :D

8. DDNONIN2016

DDNONIN2016 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2012
    SW Ohio
    Hello and welcome from Ohio....so glad you joined

9. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Jackie, and [​IMG]! Great to have you in our flock! I really like the sounds of your set up! Best of luck to you and your chickens!

10. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    [​IMG] from California, wow sounds great!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by