Hello from Saskatchewan Canada

Kyle_and_Katies_Critters

In the Brooder
Feb 2, 2023
(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
My wife and I have had chickens for a little over two years now, we started with a batch of GLW chicks, but they ended up being mostly mixed, so we got other breeds.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
18 right now, we plan on hatching out a lot this spring. Plus we are going to be getting a couple colour variations of Coturnix Quail soon and will be starting a colour breeding project with them.

(3) What breeds do you have?
BBS Ameracauna, Silver Laced Wyandotte, Golden Laced Wyandotte, Red Duckwing Welsummer, Silkies, Easter Eggers. I'm sure my wife will end up ordering more different breeds, she seems to want some of everything.

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?
I like spending time with the flock, I have a rooster named Dorothy (my daughter named him) who jumps up onto my shoulder to hang out. I am also very interested in genetics and am planning on breeding out Mottled Ameracaunas as well as making a nice Ameracauna/Welsummer Olive Egger cross that breeds consistent, but that's going to take a long time.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
I love building things. I used to work on cars/trucks every day.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
My wife and I have two young kids, 3 big dogs, 3 cats. I am a stay at home dad, I look after the animals and she picks out what animals she wants to get. We work with a local dog rescue, picking up and fostering dogs that otherwise would likely get shot or freeze, it gets very cold here in Sask.

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D
I have been lurking here for a couple years, but am just now getting serious into breeding and decided it was time to make an account.

Attachments

• Mottled Ameracauna.jpg
    Mottled Ameracauna.jpg
    606.1 KB · Views: 8
  • 327944307_1186717615302143_2799814184935097895_n.jpg
    327944307_1186717615302143_2799814184935097895_n.jpg
    773.9 KB · Views: 1
(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
My wife and I have had chickens for a little over two years now, we started with a batch of GLW chicks, but they ended up being mostly mixed, so we got other breeds.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
18 right now, we plan on hatching out a lot this spring. Plus we are going to be getting a couple colour variations of Coturnix Quail soon and will be starting a colour breeding project with them.

(3) What breeds do you have?
BBS Ameracauna, Silver Laced Wyandotte, Golden Laced Wyandotte, Red Duckwing Welsummer, Silkies, Easter Eggers. I'm sure my wife will end up ordering more different breeds, she seems to want some of everything.

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?
I like spending time with the flock, I have a rooster named Dorothy (my daughter named him) who jumps up onto my shoulder to hang out. I am also very interested in genetics and am planning on breeding out Mottled Ameracaunas as well as making a nice Ameracauna/Welsummer Olive Egger cross that breeds consistent, but that's going to take a long time.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
I love building things. I used to work on cars/trucks every day.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
My wife and I have two young kids, 3 big dogs, 3 cats. I am a stay at home dad, I look after the animals and she picks out what animals she wants to get. We work with a local dog rescue, picking up and fostering dogs that otherwise would likely get shot or freeze, it gets very cold here in Sask.

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? :D
I have been lurking here for a couple years, but am just now getting serious into breeding and decided it was time to make an account.
Welcome to BYC!! Beautiful birds!

Welcome to Byc neighbour
I’m in Alberta and totally understand the great Canadian cold winters
I only have ducks …,but have a friend in Alberta who breeds and sells
Chickens , ducks , quail and geese
Thanks. I originally wanted ducks but my wife wasn't a fan. She only wanted chickens for some reason. I spent 12 years living just outside Edmonton and have a lot of family and friends in Calgary, I love Alberta, but I also love how few people there are around here near the Sask/Manitoba border.

Thanks everyone for the nice welcome.

Back
Top Bottom