Hello from Scottsdale Arizona

arizonacaveman

Hatching
8 Years
Dec 1, 2011
Wanted to drop in and say hello and introduce myself. My name is Jay and live in Scottsdale, Arizona. We live on a great property (no H.O.A & nice animal friendly neighbors) with plenty of backyard. For a few months now we've been getting ready for chickens (asking questions, reviewing forums like this, etc.). Just attended a fun local class in my area on backyard chickens and looking forward to a Tour De Coops here in Phoenix this weekend. Friends who have chickens recommended we look for Barred Rocks / Black Star chickens as they are best layers and good with kids (we have 2 daughters 7 years and 4 years). Since just starting out we will probably get 2 chicks but might do 4. Next step for us is finding a good location that we should buy the chicks from and getting our coop built or bought that is AZ heat ready and coyote proof (we have a few in our area that I've seen at night). If any advice for a Newbie share away.
big_smile.png

welcome-byc.gif
from Twentynine Palms in the California high desert!

You'll find BYC folks are very friendly and knowledgeable and are always eager to help!

I would love to go on a tour de coops! The coop owners should have lots of valuable info for you.

Last edited:
welcome-byc.gif
from California. A little advice. Don't get two chicks. If something happens to one you will be left with one. Not a good situation. Also, build your coop and run, twice as big as you are advised. A lot of problems with chickens comes from being crowded. Best of luck!
frow.gif

welcome-byc.gif
frow.gif
from California

For some area specific answers you might what to join in on the Arizona thread. Lots of nice people there. It'll be listed in the Where am I? Where are you! section

All other questions and we're all in this together. LOL

And yeah, good suggestion on more than 2 chicks. You'll be really disappointed and adding a new one of waiting for it to catch up in growth is like 10x the work. Besides, we're gonna teach you a little chicken math. LOL

Back
Top Bottom