Hello from SE MI :)

hoofservant

Hatching
7 Years
Apr 8, 2012
SE MI
Hi, all!

I am in Southeastern Michigan, about an hour west of Detroit. Currently, I have fourteen pastured chickens, which are an assortment of New Hampshire Reds, Sexlinks, Americanas, one Barred Rock, one Buff Orpington and one Brahma rooster who spends a lot of time strutting magnificently around the yard. We get enough eggs that I have a small cottage industry selling eggs to my fellow classmates and professors. I just love it when people open the egg carton to find brown, blue and green eggs. :) What I love even more is hearing how much they love the rich color and taste of the eggs when they eat them.

My Granny had chickens when I was growing up, still does, and I have very fond memories of hauling a long-suffering hen around under one arm through the barnyard and backyard, and my blankie tucked under the other. She raised Buttercups, both full-sized and Bantams, Sumatras, Barred Rocks, Marans and many others through the years.

I've been back into chickens strongly for the last 3 years, and then on and off for about 2 years before that. We had a lovely flock of Chanteclurs that had an unfortunate run-in with a stormy night, owners who didn't get out to the coop early enough and a pack of coyotes. The two hens that were left of the flock never did recover... My aunt raises Chanteclurs in New York State, and while the intention to get more from her is there, I haven't gotten to it just yet.

I get a great deal of joy watching my birds wander, eat and explore. My day isn't complete until I've been "charged" by the flock, wanting to know if I have any tasty treats for them.

Last autumn, I raised a flock of Cornish Rock X's, which were pretty tasty, my second batch. And this summer/autumn, I am looking to raise another batch, which will be sold. I am not sure if I want to raise the X's again, and I will say that the Freedom Ranger chickens have definitely peaked my interested.

That is, in part, my interest in joining the site, to learn more about birds that others have raised for eating, success and lack thereof in raising meat specific, dual purpose and such. I will always have egg birds, especially Americaunas! I love their quirky personalities!

Hi && Welcome!!
wee.gif

welcome-byc.gif
from the gateway to the Okefenokee Swamp and the Folkston Funnel - a train watchers paradise!

Hi and
welcome-byc.gif
We must be neighbors LOL because I also live about a hour west of Detroit outside of A2. I grew up on a farm and got chickens a year ago for our farm. I started with 26 chickens last year, some of which were cornish x and kept 14 layers and a roo. This year I have added 46 chicks and still hatching more. Gotta love chicken math LOL

Back
Top Bottom