Hello from SE Ohio

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by CarlaH0318, Apr 6, 2018.

1. CarlaH0318

CarlaH0318 In the Brooder

May 23, 2017
    Racine, Ohio
    Hello, my name is Carla. I live in a rural village in Racine, Ohio. I live approximately 50' from the big Ohio River. Yes, I have been flooded out several times. I survived my first winter with my first flock. I have already survived a flood with my flock that I have had to relocate twice, the second relocation I just let them range. There was water all around my house but I had places for them to roost under my house (in my garage). They did well with my 2 goats and beagle, Junior.

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?

I think I just answered this. I purchased a mixture of Aracuanas and Americauanas. Yes, I know I can't spell, lol. I did get them from TSC and Rural King. I, also, bought splash wyandottes from a local breeder.

My new flock was just purchased this past February from Meyer Hatchery in Ohio. That was my first experience with mail-ordered chicks. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?

I have 13 chickens in my older flock. My new "biddie" flock has 17 in the flock.

(3) What breeds do you have?

I have Aracuanas, Americaunas, splash Wyandottes; old flock. The new flock contains Buckeyes, Speckled Sussex, Westmoreland, and Olive Easter Eggers.

(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com?

A chicken magazine and google search

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?

Right now, I am finishing my MBA so my hobbies are non-existence at the moment. I like to read historical fiction, cross-stitching, playing the piano. I have a great friend who is teaching to quilt.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.

I am a medical coder that I work from home. I live with my disabled mother and disabled daughter. Among us, we have several cats, 6 dogs, 2 goats, 2 guinea pigs. My divorce was recently finaled, YEAH, I get to my house and property. I recently renovated my building so that my goats and older chickens could co-habit. So far, it is working out.

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years.

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to Backyard chickens. :hugsHope things go smoothly for you from this point on.

3. 4 ever Orpington

4 ever Orpington Mr.& Mrs Orpington

Nov 5, 2017
    Suches,Georgia
    :thumbsup :welcome

4. 007Sean

007Sean Addict

Oct 25, 2015
    South Central Texas
    Howdy Carla :welcome:frow Happy:ya to have you join the family. Enjoy your time here at BYC! :)

5. Angeline1978

Angeline1978 Songster

May 22, 2016
    Indiana
    Welcome to the nut house!

6. Pork Pie

Pork Pie Flockwit

Jan 30, 2015
    Hello and welcome to our community. Please make yourself at home here with us.

7. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams

G'Day from down under Carla :frow Welcome!

8. Texas Kiki

Texas Kiki Egg Pusher

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
  9. GracieJ

GracieJ Songster

Feb 16, 2018
    Wales, UK
    Welcome to BYC! :) You'll have lots of fun here and gain plenty of knowledge!

10. rjohns39

rjohns39 Addict

Aug 20, 2015
    Smith County, TN
    Hi Carla and welcome to BYC :frow We're so happy you've decided to join us:ya

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: