Hello from Seattle, WA

ChelseaT

In the Brooder
May 9, 2017
Seattle, WA
Hello everyone,
It's my first week here on BYC. I'm a new chicken owner. I have one Rhode Island Red (Mary Anne), one Buff Orpington (Pam) and one Plymouth Rock (Ruettiger). In fact, Mary Anne is sitting in her favorite spot on my shoulder as I type this. She is my favorite chicken at the moment. I love her because she's so saucy and bossy and immediately jumps on top of the feeder to look at me when I peek over the side of the brooder to coo at them. I fantasize that she has formed some sort of attachment to me, even though I'm not sure if chickens do that. When I take them all outside on their mini-field trips, they all stay very close to me and sometimes try to huddle under my crouched legs if they hear a crow nearby or if the wind kicks up and they want protection. Do they think I'm their mother hen? I sure like to think so. I'm trying not to get too attached though, in case any of them turn out to be roosters since we're not legally allowed to have them in Seattle. They are about 3 weeks old at the moment and are growing bigger by this minute. I really appreciated this website while I was researching whether or not I have what it takes to be a good chicken owner, so I figured joining up would be a logical step. Besides the chickies, I have two dogs and two cats. Since I have terriers, I am presented with some unique challenges of their own there, but I am determined to keep everyone happy, healthy and all in one piece.
Thanks for being here, everybody.
Chelsea

Welcome! :frow

I see a lot of myself in your post. I, too, lurked for months while deciding to get chickens. I read as much as I could. 8 weeks ago we got a buff orp, a welsummer, an easter egger, and a speckled sussex. The speckled turned out to be a rooster, of course after I got way too attached to all of them. We can't have roosters either. Sad face forever. Anyway, the remaining 3 are a very close clan and I love them and I'm so glad I jumped into chickening. I hope you enjoy your adventure too! :)

Hi Chelsea and welcome to BYC. It sure sounds like your chicks consider you momma, for now.

You'll find lots of info in the Learning Centre - https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/category/learning-center.11/ and if you have a specific topic in mind, just type it in the search box - there's a wealth of information on past and present threads.

You may wish to consider joining your state thread as it will put you in touch with other BYC members in your area - http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/270925/find-your-states-thread#post_3239224

All the best

CT

Back
Top Bottom