Hello from Shiver Farms!

ShiverFarms

In the Brooder
May 12, 2022
Hello! My name is Courtney, and I just established my flock of ten chicks, from hatch. I call our little group Shiver Farms, and these birds are already spoiled rotten at five - nearly six - weeks old. We are planning on moving them out to the run and a grow-out coop this weekend.

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens? I am new to chickens but have been planning on starting chicken keeping since 2020. After lots of research and hemming and hawing, I finally hatched my first chickens on April 11, 2022.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now? Ten!

(3) What breeds do you have? We got our eggs from a local hatchery and have a number of barnyard mixes - I asked for colorful hatching eggs. However, a few are identifiable breeds. We have for sure one Blue Laced Red Wyandotte and a Cuckoo Maran.

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens? I'm really excited about this being sort of a zen hobby. Designing their run and coop was a landscaping job which was fun. They're also very fun to be around - I like learning their personalities.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies? I'm coming off of being either pregnant or nursing with two very attached children and have not really had time for hobbies. I like to plan parties and find the best patio dining with margaritas but chicken keeping is my first real hobby in a long time!

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share. I'm married to a man (J) for going on six years. We've been together for 12 years. We have two children together (T&G). We also have two dogs, one of whom we are attempting to rear as a Livestock Guardian Dog. We live on 40 acres and are building our dream farmstead.

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community? I found BYC through Google after many "pullet or cockerel?" searches. I finally decided to join so I can in fact determine - pullet? Or cockerel? Also, as a new chicken keeper I am sure that I will have a number of questions!

Back
Top Bottom