Hello from SoCal! We think we want chickens!

mrsgoodegg

Hatching
8 Years
Jul 21, 2011
Hello everyone! I'm fairly new to this site but have been visiting daily since a couple of weeks ago.
Friends who are also neighbors went on vacation & offered my children the chance to pick the eggs from their 6 hens while they were away.
Since then, we have looked at coops, runs, laws & ordinances, breeds etc, everything we might need to know about should we decide to
become chicken owners too! I think I'm becoming more comfortable with the idea (I'm the only hold-out in our family).
In the meantime, I've just been reading about everyone else's stories & living vicariously through
them. Thanks for sharing your stories!

welcome-byc.gif
Glad you joined us!

Get chickens! You know you want to
yippiechickie.gif
You'll be addicted in no time
big_smile.png

welcome-byc.gif
from Central California!

Here's some standard advice I give to folks new to keeping chickens, which you may find useful:

1. If you glance in the brooder and see dead chicks, DO NOT PANIC right away. Tap the brooder on the side and I bet, magically, those chicks will wake up. They sleep suddenly, anywhere they happen to be at the time they fall asleep, sometimes even in the classical "on back, legs stretched out" pose. You think you almost see little Xs in their eyes. But this is common, folks thinking their chicks have died when they're just asleep. Perhaps, if this hasn't happened to you yet, I can save you a heart attack.

2. Chicks on their sides, kicking and flapping, are NOT having seizures. They are dust bathing in their bedding. It looks a LOT like some awful convulsion, but it's perfectly normal. Again, no need for heart medication on your part.

3. All chicks spar and "fight" - they are establishing the pecking order almost as soon as they can stand up outside of their shells. Boys and girls do it. 'Tain't nuthin' ominous about it. They run at each other, they stop and stand up really tall (all of 3 or 4 inches), they bump chests, all that gladiator ring stuff. Even the adorable little girl chicks. Also, female chickens also grow spurs, so when the spur "bump" appears, do not automatically think you got a boy there.

4. You suddenly notice a hard lump in one or more chicks' necks and are postive those are tumors of some sort. Nope, just a full crop. Do not panic. Wait until the next morning and check the chick(s) again - most probably the "tumor" will have vanished. This is a common discovery.

5. Enjoy the chicks when they get the "zoomies." They will run around at top speed all over the place, and sometimes, when one gets to zooming around, it will trigger other chicks to do the same. Wheee!

6. Get a good camera. Take a whole lot of pictures. Post them here on BYC for everybody to see (once you are able to upload and share photos). We love pictures!

Back
Top Bottom