Hello from SoCal

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by KingOfFools, Jan 3, 2015.

1. KingOfFools

KingOfFools Chillin' With My Peeps

Been raising a handful of chickens in the Inland Empire area, and my wife and I are hooked. My stupid chickens are spoiled to death. We started with two white leghorns, two New Hampshires, and two Buff Orpingtons. One of the buffs got a broken leg before she even started laying. After trying splints and other things, it was just suffering and getting dehydrated so I had to kill my first chicken. Broke me up. Recently a plump, beautiful, egg-a-day NH, started acting strange. Within a few days she was dead. Her crop was swollen really bad, I noticed after. We have two silkies also, but they are just for fun. My queen bee is one of the white leghorns. She loves my attention and can get pretty jealous of the others if I pick them up or scratch them. (I know I'm ridiculous). Our other WL has been broody for a couple months and is dragging out a long molt so her laying days may be over. Going to wait till spring to decide what to do.

Anyway, we are a Navy family and love chickens. Want to go pro when we retire now.

2. CrazyChookz

CrazyChookz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2012
    Chasing Chooks
    [​IMG] and have a happy 2015! Sorry for your losses [​IMG]and I wish you luck in the future. Enjoy your flock!

Last edited: Jan 3, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Thank you for your time in service. Hope the losses are in the past and success stories in your future. Welcome to Backyard chickens.

4. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. Thank you for your service to our country. I'm sorry about your losses. It always hurts to lose some of our flock. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck in retiring and raising chickens for a living.

5. KingOfFools

KingOfFools Chillin' With My Peeps

Here's to that! Well hopefully while on BYC I can learn what I did wrong and learn now before I try and have a big flock one day. Thank for the welcome.

6. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    You're welcome.

7. ChickyChickens

ChickyChickens Chickening Around

May 24, 2014
    BYC? Epic <3
    My Coop
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Welcome to BYC!!! There are loads of members on here…so if you have ANY questions…just ASK!!!

Hope you have loads of fun and all your answers answered here on BYC the BEST CHICKEN KEEPING FORUM on EARTH!!

[​IMG][​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member Project Manager

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    [​IMG] So glad you decided to join us.

So sorry about your losses.

9. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

10. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]We're glad to have you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by