1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hello from South East TX

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by lucky27, Mar 13, 2015.

1. lucky27

lucky27 Just Hatched

Mar 13, 2015
    Hello everyone. My name is Melissa. I am a brand new chick owner. We bought 7 bantam chicks today. They were really gotten for my 9 year old. She is going to learn to care for them. But I am not sure Mama can give up total control so they will be the whole families pets. Eggs will be a bonus but I am not sure we could ever eat them. We have a whole lot to learn. I have been reading as much as I can about chickens for a couple weeks now but I feel like I still don't know enough. We are working on building a coup but I know we have a few weeks before we can put them outside. Any advice y'all have is welcome!

2. Frindizzle

Frindizzle Guitar Girl <3 Premium Member

3. Twistedfeather

Twistedfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2014
    Oregon
    Hi welcome to BYC. Bantams are easy for a nine year old to handle because of their small size, do you know what you have? Also another opportunity for kids is an organization known as 4-H which has a chicken project. Since bantams are small I normally find it better depending on the breed of bantam to have it enclosed on the top and safe from predators, I have had a Dutch Bantam of mine fit through a small field fencing and right into the bigger large fowl Java pen with an unwelcoming cockerel that went straight after her. But I know the Silkie which was in the pen that she had escaped would not fit through the field fencing holes.

Enjoy your bantams!

4. lucky27

lucky27 Just Hatched

Mar 13, 2015
    Thanks so much for pointing me in a direction Frindizzle.

Twistedfeather, I have no idea what kind they are. They are from tractor supply. We will for sure have their run completely closed in. We have a lot of predators here. We are using hardware cloth to enclose the run. We have a lot of snake so we want to keep those suckers out! We are for sure going to get my daughter into 4H. It is on the list of things to get done.

5. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Stuck back in the 40s Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    Hello [​IMG]and Welcome to BYC![​IMG]
    Glad to have you join! Feel free to make yourself at home!

6. ChicKat

ChicKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Hi Melissa,

Welcome to BYC - ho ho I was at the TSC in Jasper and saw the chicks. I'm from Woodville. Hope your chicken adventure with your daughter is tons of fun!

7. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Nice to meet you Melissa - would love to see a photo of your new bantam chicks. Great, that you are using hardware cloth for them. It doesn't take much of an opening for the bad guys to sneak in.

9. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Pretty avatar!

Glad you joined us, Melissa!

10. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by