Hello From South Florida

Poppellspeep

Hatching
Sep 21, 2021
Hi y'all,
My name is Sherry, I live in Alabama with my husband who retired from the US Navy. We have 4 kids. 2 children(mine from first marriage ) live in Washington state and 2 children (ours) live here. We are proud grandparents to 1 six year old grandson (lives in washington) and both kids in Washington are expecting a new bundle of joy.
We bought our first home a year and a half ago and are trying to settle in still. We have 2 Pomeranians. 1 is a purbreed and the other is papillon/pomeranian mix .3 turtles, a bearded dragon, and a kitty . We are trying to look for a large breed of dog that will fit into our home .I'm not wanting a lab because we had one (Wyatt) pass away a year ago and i don't want to compare them. Wyatt was thee best dog anyone could ask for.
We have 13 full size hens(a few differen breeds) 1 full size rooster, 1 Rosecomb hen, 2 Serma hens, 1 Silkie rooster, 12 mixed banham/full size hens and 2 mixed banham/full size roosters. We always said we would never have banhams cuz they are not dual purpose birds but we fell in love with the Rosecomb hen that was left at our home and our flock just keeps growing. We also have found a second purpose for them. 1) they have laid better than my full size birds this winter close your eyes or skip to next sentence if you are like me and will only let your chickens pass from natural causes. The next sentence was hard for me to type and may be hard for you to read..........................................................2) they make the best stock and chicken and rice.

My children call me the chicken lady. I love to go outside and talk to them. Some of them I think know what I'm saying .they even talk back, lol . I am a city girl that loves the country. I was raised in a city and the city was not far from the mountains and country. So I enjoy both parts.
My husband on the other hand would live in the middle of nowhere if it was up to him. He is country as country gets. He loves to hunt and any activity outside, especially if it's in the woods/mountains. When I say mountains I mean mountains in Washington state or upstate New York (hubby is from there). Not Alabama hills lol. He also enjoys building and engineering anything I ask for the chickens or the house. He built three chicken coops. Two tractors and one that stays put. They are amazing.
I guess I should stop. I could go on and on about anything. I look forward to learning more and meeting new people who might be like me (obsessed with their chickens) lol
Hi I am Cyndi and my husband is Scott. Enjoyed your post. I was raise in south Florida but 6 weeks every summer we went to my father's home in the mountains in Oregon. So like you I grew up in both words. We are moving to a small farm somewhere in Northern Alabama Tennessee line. I want to raise chickens . It seems I've raised everything but them. We have 9 Labradors I raised Labs for 10 years that I donated the puppies to a nonprofit to help families that couldn't afford one. Met many great children. The irony of it all is now I'm handicapped. My question is how much work do they take.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi I am Cyndi and my husband is Scott. Enjoyed your post. I was raise in south Florida but 6 weeks every summer we went to my father's home in the mountains in Oregon. So like you I grew up in both words. We are moving to a small farm somewhere in Northern Alabama Tennessee line. I want to raise chickens . It seems I've raised everything but them. We have 9 Labradors I raised Labs for 10 years that I donated the puppies to a nonprofit to help families that couldn't afford one. Met many great children. The irony of it all is now I'm handicapped. My question is how much work do they take.
Hello Cyndi and Scott. This is a Zombie post because of it's date. Please Start a new intro post. :)

Here is the link. https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/new-member-introductions.44/

:welcome :wee:ya:yesss: Hello Cyndi and Scott welcome to BYC, You found an Amazing Poultry Community to be a part of with many great knowledgeable members, who are more then willing to jump in and help you along your journey with any questions you may have. :)

Fewer birds are easier to keep. I have several hundred and several coops and I'm an old lady. It is getting harder as the years go by. Good luck and have fun...

Back
Top Bottom