Hello From South Florida

MamaBear0128

In the Brooder
May 5, 2015
Hi Everyone,

I'm Mama Bear. Our family raised chickens several years back and had a great time. We decided to do it again. We have 8 Rhode Islands, all hens. I decided to try my luck with turkey's as well. I bought two Royal Palms and they died within 48 hours. I decided to give it one more try. I now have two Chocolate Turkeys, according to the place I purchased them from. I'll see how it goes this time.

Welcome to BYC, Mama Bear! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Sounds like you have a lovely flock! Is that some of them in your avatar? So cute! We have a turkey section here on BYC that you might really enjoy posting in. Here is the link https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/20/turkeys

Best of luck with you flock and feel free to ask any questions you may have
smile.png

Thank you, Mountain Peeps, and yes those are my new turkeys in the avatar.

Thank you, nj2wv!

Thank you, sunflour!

I'm always open for comments and suggestions, as this is my first experience with turkeys. I'm thinking based on the things I have read that they are male/female. I originally named them "Big and Rich". Now they are Johnny and June. Johnny is the one with the spotted head and June has the stripe. The picture was a few days after I brought them home. But now Johnny has doubled in size and lil June is staying small. They are about three weeks old, I'd say. No sounds other than the constant peeping. Their behaviors are all the same. Hopping, flapping, running with wings out, etc. They are really sweet but I keep being told that if they are males, they will be mean. I hope not. I handle them several times daily and they follow me around the yard. I'll be really upset if I have to eat them.......hahahahaha!

Last edited:
Hi :welcome Mama Bear

Glad you could join the flock! Sorry to hear you lost your first 2 turkeys :hugs Your 2 new ones look great. I've never raised turkeys so can't offer you any advice but please do drop by the Turkey link that Mountain Peeps left for you. Lots if experienced Turkey keepers there.

Wishing you the very best of luck with your flock.
Enjoy BYC :frow

Thank you, Mountain Peeps, and yes those are my new turkeys in the avatar.

Thank you, nj2wv!

Thank you, sunflour!

I'm always open for comments and suggestions, as this is my first experience with turkeys. I'm thinking based on the things I have read that they are male/female. I originally named them "Big and Rich". Now they are Johnny and June. Johnny is the one with the spotted head and June has the stripe. The picture was a few days after I brought them home. But now Johnny has doubled in size and lil June is staying small. They are about three weeks old, I'd say. No sounds other than the constant peeping. Their behaviors are all the same. Hopping, flapping, running with wings out, etc. They are really sweet but I keep being told that if they are males, they will be mean. I hope not. I handle them several times daily and they follow me around the yard. I'll be really upset if I have to eat them.......hahahahaha!
You're very welcome. They sure are pretty

Back
Top Bottom