1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hello from South Jersey!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Rescue Chick, Sep 16, 2016.

1. Rescue Chick

Rescue Chick New Egg

Sep 16, 2016

Hi! I am a 3 day new owner of a rescued Red Star hen that had been wandering around the housing development for 5 months. I walk over there at nights and just found out about 2 weeks ago no one appeared to own her so I started going over and feeding her until a man living in one of the houses yelled at me, then proceeded to tell me he was going to call the SPCA! He then told me to take her. Well, never having even touched a chicken before I walked over and took her out of the pine tree she was perched in.
    Now I am in love and we named her Penny! She is extremely sweet and smart. We dig together and I turn over rocks while she waits for the cricket yummies to come hopping out.
    I never thought I would touch a chicken and now I absolutely love her! I have gotten a huge brown egg everyday from her.
    She is a bit on the thin side but I am trying to fatten her up a bit.

Wonderful information on this forum! Thank you!

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas and :welcome. Great to have you with us! Wow! I'd say that is one lucky chicken! One, for surviving roaming free for so long, and also because she found a great owner in you! Best of luck to you and Penny!

3. MotorcycleChick

MotorcycleChick Gone quackers

Apr 17, 2012
    Coffee shop
    That is so cool! SO glad to have you here!

4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to our community. It sounds like your hen could not have found a better owner! She must be happy and content if she is giving you eggs - well done you!

Best wishes

CT

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    She's the GOOD Penny that turned up in your life.

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

7. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Welcome to Backyard chickens!! I hope you enjoy it and the camaraderie here and everybody that goes nuts over chickens (me being one of them....) Have fun! And ask questions! Congrats on Penny! She is going to need a buddy.....;):)

8. Rescue Chick

Rescue Chick New Egg

Sep 16, 2016

Thank you for the warm welcome! I will definitely have many questions on my journey to becoming the best chicken Mommy I can be! :)

9. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Welcome to BYC! It's great to have you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by