Hello from South London!

girlandduck

In the Brooder
7 Years
Nov 6, 2012
Hi! My name is Shay, I have one duck (Fabian) and two chickens (Madge and Nugget!). I joined because my housemates have decided I need to re-house my two lovely chicken ladies and I'm hoping to meet some other Londoners who want my hens and who 1. Would treat them with the tender, lovin' care they deserve and 2. Definitely not eat them. I also like talking about my duck endlessly, so this might be a healthy outlet for that. :) Madge and Nugget started laying like a month and a half ago, they really like cuddles, chatting early in the morning and mealworms. I truly wish I could keep these girls buy my housemates are getting upset and it's a shared back garden.

ah, they're worried the chicken poop is attracting cockroaches and they're annoyed that the girls are getting quite loud early in the morning (for a while they thought I wasn't feeding them, but I explained sometimes hens just cluck for no reason and there's not really much I can do to prevent clucking, plus I think it's cute.)

Noise can depend on the breed of chickens. Its my understanding that the bantam breeds are extremely loud, although I never owned any. My Rhode Island Reds tend to be quiet but the "head chicken in charge" can start yelling if she gets too annoyed by the other girls.

Sorry that you have to give up your girls. Perhaps its time to consider planning a move to a more rural area. I made the change and dont regret it. The freedom I get to have a garden and chickens out weighs the long drive to work. In my opinion.

Riki

Last edited:
ab4a3b6ffa9c5224e8d94f1bf069309e835bf44ada39a3ee5e6b4b0d3255bfef95601890afd80709da39a3ee5e6b4b0d3255bfef95601890afd80709a4b3225a1483568630b9.png

Thanks for the welcome guys! Yeah, I wouldn't really mind moving further out of central london, except I'm a student and I've got the most amazing rental deal (an unheard of 33 quid) I thought it'd be okay, living backing onto a big park like I do, to make up for the small-ish garden, but 2 chickens and a duck are surprisingly hard to herd in a public park (and attract a LOT of attention).

Hello and welcome to BYC
frow.gif
Glad you joined us!

Back
Top Bottom