Hello From South Texas!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by sarahcookhill, Jul 22, 2011.

1. sarahcookhill

sarahcookhill Out Of The Brooder

May 16, 2011
    Hallettsville, TX
    Hi All!

My name is Sarah Hill and my husband and nearly 5 year old daughter lives in South Texas near Victoria, TX. We have two 10 year old Boxer dogs. The female is Brin and our male is Sampson. We recently acquired a new Boxer puppy that is AKC registered also and is half German, half American Boxer who is almost four months old. We lost our nearly 7 year old AKC Boxer on February 15 very suddenly, which we were all just devastated over. My husband was working in Afghanistan as a civilian contractor at the time and it was just heartbreaking to have to tell him the news on skype. We also have one housecat named Ziggy. We also have a fish pond with about six goldfish that started out as our daughter's and now I'm the one that feeds them [​IMG]

Back in April they hatched out chicks at our daughter's preschool and that's how we started with our first two chicks. Then we got one from the school where my mother teaches. Then we acquired four "laying hens" which apparently only one, possibly two of them, actually lay eggs [​IMG] It really makes me no difference if they ever lay an egg as I just enjoy having them around and listening to the little noises they make. I really never thought I would like having chickens, it all started out as
    my daughter and husband's thing and then I really got into it. My wonderful husband just built us the most fantastic chicken coop and the girls just love it. We had bought one of these $500 prefab coops off the internet and about a week after we had it, a storm came through and threw it across the yard and just pretty much trashed it. So, now we're $500 to $600 in on the coop (not counting the cost of the beer my husband drank during construction) we just built and we haven't even built the run yet. But if THIS coop blows across the yard in a storm, we've got WAY bigger problems! It is stout, for sure! Hubby did an awesome job on it and worked so hard! I'm looking forward to chatting with you all and learning more about what all happens in the world of backyard chickens!

2. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Louisiana!!

3. dianaross77

dianaross77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from Michigan! We have a boxer/bullmastiff mix. We love the happy-go-lucky boxer personality.

4. sarahcookhill

May 16, 2011
    Hallettsville, TX
    My husband is actually working in Mansfield, LA near Shreveport, LA right now! He does seismic work for oil/gas companies.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2011
  5. sarahcookhill

May 16, 2011
    Hallettsville, TX
    We are definitely Boxer lovers too! They are so wonderful with kids and so human like in their personalities! They were our FIRST babies!

6. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

7. Desert Rooster

Desert Rooster El Gallo Del Desierto

Sep 4, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca
    Hello [​IMG] from Hesperia,CA and [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

9. True Grit

True Grit Chillin' With My Peeps