Hello from Southeast Alaska

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by ravensview, Aug 8, 2009.

1. ravensview

ravensview Hatching

Aug 8, 2009
    Ketchikan
    Started keeping chickens after my twins hatched some at preschool. They were going to take them to the raptor/rehab center for eagle food, girls had hand reared them and had bonded with them.....so we ended up bringing them home. Have loved having them. This year a 2 year old bear ripped into our fend and coop and annihilated my flock. Thought that was kinda strange as the fish and berries are both prolific this year. We were devastated, so we are starting over (pretty late in the season here) this month. We are electrifying our fence now, only thing that will keep the bears away.

2. nicalandia

nicalandia Crowing

Jul 16, 2009
    WELCOME.....I know you will like this place...I love it...

3. PeepsNLadybugs

PeepsNLadybugs Songster

May 14, 2009
    W of Tallahassee, FL
    Hi and [​IMG] from North Florida. This site is very addictive and I enjoy it so much. Hope you do too!!![​IMG]

4. Lunachick

Lunachick Chicken Slave

Mar 19, 2007
    Brick, NJ
    [​IMG] Check out the coop & run section, it will give you plenty of ideas to safe guard your chickens....so sorry you had a problem with preds....Also the predators & Pests section for more advice...Enjoy your chooks! [​IMG]

5. applefalls

applefalls Songster

Feb 25, 2009
    Cockeysville, MD
    [​IMG] Welcome from Maryland, where we thought the raccoons and foxes were bad...! Bears, Oh My![​IMG]

6. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

[​IMG] from Washington, formerly from Ketchikan.

Glad you joined.
    If you post pixs of SEA it'll make me homesick. Go ahead [​IMG]

Imp

7. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Hi, [​IMG] from South Carolina!

8. AkTomboy

AkTomboy Songster

Apr 21, 2009
    DJ, Alaska
    [​IMG] and hello

Im from the interior and quite a few people from Alaska are on here. Sorry to hear about the bear problem. I understand having to start over late I have a girl in my 4-H group who is doing just that as of last thursday. I even gave her family a few of mine afterall what kind of leader would I be if I didnt lol Anywhos this place is great! Very nice and extremely helpful people here from all over I have learned so much.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: