Hello from Southern IL!

xOZx

In the Brooder
10 Years
Dec 17, 2009
1) Hello all. My wife and I got our first chickens this spring. A friend photographer got chicks to easter photos and gave us 7 of them. As summer wore on, we soon realized that all were ROOSTERS! LOL! Well, we ended up giving all but one to a local 4H member. They were 4 Buff Orps and 3 RIRs. One of the RIRs developed an infection in its "knee/elbow"? We did some surgury once we researched it a bit and got most of the solid and liquid pus out. After several rounds of lancing and antibiotic, it seems to have cleared up, but "Red" is now permantly gimpy.
sad.png
He/she does OK tho.

Soon after we had just Red, I built a new coop with a 10x10x6 dog kennel and then built a 4x8x8 house...I'll take pics when it warms up. The pen/coop works great. I recently (with the cold weather) put a sliding panel in for the door so at night we can close them in the warm house.

(2) So now we're back 6 birds. Pretty sure most are hens :0)

(3) Two silkies, and white (Snowflake) and Blue (Willow). Two Plymouth Rocks (The Twins), a Rhode Island Red (Red), and a Silver Laced Wyandotte (Henrietta). We were getting up to 5 and 6 eggs a day this fall, but with the cold weather it has dropped to 1 or 2...and Willow has gone Broody...typical for silkies as I've read.

(4) Found this site when were were researching Red's ailment this summer, finally decided to sign up. I need to look into how to get Willow out of the nest box...
big_smile.png

(5) Hobbies? I am an avid outdoorsman, fishing and hunting are my main activities.

(6) My wife and I have two kids, the love the birds and named them all. We have three dogs, a Rat Terrier, Chihuahua (rescue), and an Italian Greyhound (Rescue), a Russian Tortise named Zuni, and a couple of frogs. With Swim team for the kids, that's plenty to keep us busy!
big_smile.png

Last edited:
welcome-byc.gif
from your neighbor in Southern Indiana! When mine go broody, I take them out of the nest box and put them in a small dog crate without the flooring, put food and water in and leave them in for 3-4 days. When I take them out they are no longer broody. Its worked every time. My Buff Orps go broody ALOT!

Back
Top Bottom