Hello from southern MO

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by HeadRoo, Sep 15, 2013.

1. HeadRoo

HeadRoo Out Of The Brooder

Sep 15, 2013
    Southern Missouri
    My Coop
    Hello all. First post here, but not new to BYC. About 6 months ago a friend asked if I wanted baby chicks. Of course, not knowing a single thing about raising chickens, I said yes and thought I would learn along the way. We ended up with 5 baby chicks (1 rooster and 4 hens). With many questions I went straight to Google. Thankfully, Google sent me to BYC where I learned about building their brooder box, taking care of the young chicks, and designing and building a coop for them when they got big enough. We found 5 of our favorite coop designs on BYC and made our first coop using those different ideas. While I am no carpenter, I am quite impressed with the results thanks to the very informative posts. When the chicks got old enough we transferred them to their new home. As they got a little bigger we had our doubts as to the sex of the chickens. And as a little more time passed we learned we had 3 roosters and 2 hens. Since we knew there was no point in having 3 roosters we had to part ways. Luckily, we found someone who needed a couple of roosters and we traded 2 roosters for a beautiful Ameraucana hen.

Since then we picked up a few more hens. We are now at our max capacity on the coop and have 1 Rhode Island Red rooster (Brownie), 2 Leghorns (Chattie and Sweetie), 1 splash colored Leghorn mix (Diamond), 1 Welsumer (Freckles), 1 Rhode Island Red (Fudge), and 1 Ameraucana (Zelda). They are all different ages and once the pecking order gets established we should start seeing eggs from the older ladies in our flock.

I look forward to meeting all of you and asking lots of questions. I will also share what I have learned along the way to maybe help someone just starting out. One of these days I will post my coop plans along with my automatic waterer and feeder.

2. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome! :)

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]sounds like you are doing a good job, glad you were able to trade the roosters away so easily. Some people can't rehome them for love or money and have to end up eating them.

4. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

5. cdonze43

cdonze43 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 9, 2013
    Welcome, I live in MO also, make sure to join the MO group on here

6. cstronks

cstronks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2013
    New Jersey
    [​IMG]!!!!!!

7. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012